Tree removal scheduled
March 22, 2018
Roof repair project at Taylor Hall requires removal of five trees
Five trees near Taylor Hall on the University of Delaware’s Newark campus will be removed as part of repair project for the roof of the 1905 building that now houses studio and office space for the Department of Art and Design.
To provide access for the work and to reduce conflict between tree branches and the roof’s repair and maintenance, four existing cypress trees will be removed from the east side of Taylor Hall. In addition, a flowering cherry tree that is in declining health will be removed from the southwest corner of the building. Remaining trees near the building will be preserved.
Weather permitting, the tree removals are currently scheduled for the week of March 26.
When the repair project is complete, new trees and additional flowering shrubs will be installed as part of the restoration planting for this area. Three native redbud trees plus a fragrant witch hazel will be planted to provide additional interest in the form of spring flowers and fall color.
Additional flowering shrubs also will be added into the understory of the existing cypress trees to complement shrubs currently established in this planting bed. All proposed plantings will beautify this area by providing expanded seasonal interest and an aesthetically improved understory layer.
Taylor Hall, which is located north of Old College, was designed by Philadelphia architect Robeson Lea Perot. It was originally a gymnasium, and Delaware College’s first basketball season opened there. A 1927 addition to the building was designed by alumnus E. William Martin, Class of 1916.
The building is named in honor of Alexander J. Taylor, a member of the Class of 1893 and a trustee. The UD Alumni Association’s annual award to an outstanding senior man is also named in his honor.
Anyone with questions about the tree removal project may contact Sue Wyndham, landscape planner, Facilities Ground Services, at email@example.com.