Logo Image
Laqwin Sterwart, Marquis Clarke

Two charged in thefts

Photos courtesy of UD Police

UD Police charge Wilmington men for stealing cellphones, electronics

University of Delaware Police have charged two Wilmington men in connection with recent thefts of cell phones and other electronics on the campus.

On July 13, three individuals told UD Police that their cell phones had been stolen while they were at the University’s Carpenter Sports Building on North College Avenue. Using campus surveillance cameras, police were able to see two suspects entering a vehicle after the thefts occurred.

With the help of video from Newark Police Department surveillance cameras, police were able to identify the suspects and the vehicle, and arrest warrants were obtained. The investigation also linked the suspects to another theft of electronics from the same location reported on May 22. Police learned that the suspects had sold the stolen electronics at a local store on or about the day of the thefts.

On July 19, the suspects’ vehicle was seen in the area of the recreation courts on the University’s Laird Campus, and police stopped it as it was leaving the area. The driver was taken into custody and the passenger was confirmed to be the second suspect shown on the videotape.

While police were conducting the investigation, two additional victims told the officers their backpacks were stolen while they were at the recreation courts that night. Items from their backpacks were subsequently located in the vehicle, along with 17 grams of marijuana.

Laqwin K. Stewart, 20, of Robinson Street in Wilmington, and Marquis T. Clarke, 21, of Eighth Avenue, both in Wilmington, Delaware, were arrested at approximately 11 p.m., July 19, and each was charged with seven counts of theft under $1,500, two counts of selling stolen property under $1,500, one count of theft of services under $1,500, one count of third degree conspiracy and two counts of third degree trespass. Stewart was also charged with possession of marijuana. Neither man has any affiliation with the University.

Both men were arraigned, and Stewart was released on $14,000 unsecured bond and Clarke was released on $13,000 unsecured bond.

“We remind all members of the campus community to never leave their personal property unattended or in public areas,” said Capt. Jason Pires of UD Police. “In this case, the suspects were able to enter the Carpenter Sports Building by closely following authorized users. Never allow a stranger to enter a card-secured area with you.”

Anyone with additional information is asked to contact University of Delaware Police at 302-831-2222.

• • • • •

Members of the UD community may download a free smartphone app, LiveSafe, that lets users submit tips to police, receive important broadcast notifications and contact the University of Delaware Police Department directly. To learn more, visit this UD Police website

Visit this website to receive a UD Crime Alert email whenever an article about a police investigation is posted on UDaily


Media Contact


Keep up with news, events and more with UDaily Newsletters.