Spring 2016 Recovery Yoga!
We are pleased to again offer "All Recovery Yoga" for anyone who is engaged in a healing process. Participants will not be asked to disclose information about their recovery, but examples include: sexual assault, eating disorders, drug and alcohol use, mental health struggles, veterans of war. Yoga sessions will be taught by trained instructors from Transformation Yoga. Yoga is every Thursday, February through May (except Spring Break) at 7:00pm in 160 Carpenter Sports Building. Sponsored by the Collegiate Recovery Community, Sexual Offense Support, and Student Wellness & Health Promotion.
Support & Counseling
24 Hour Assistance:
- On-campus confidential support is available by phone 24 hours/day with trained S.O.S. Victim Advocates. To contact S.O.S., call the Health Center at 302-831-2226. The staff will take a first name and phone number and the Victim Advocate on duty will call you back within 10 minutes.
- In New Castle County, the YWCA's Sexual Assault Response Center offers rape crisis services similar to those provided by S.O.S. for anyone who calls at 1-800-773-8570. In Kent & Sussex Counties, ContactLifeline offers rape crisis services at 1-800-262-9800.
- RAINN, Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, offers a national hotline, by phone at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) and online.
- One-on-one appointments for support, crisis intervention, ongoing advocacy, and follow-up care regarding sexual assault, intimate partner violence or stalking are provided by the S.O.S. Coordinator. Appointments with a Dating Violence Counselor are also available. Call 302-831-3457 to make an appointment with either staff at Student Wellness & Health Promotion.
- Sexual Assault Survivors' Support Group and Healthy Relationship Support Group are offered at Student Wellness & Health Promotion.. To find out more or get involved with the next group, call 302-831-3457. Group closes after 2 sessions, so calling earlier in the semester is recommended.
- Counseling is available at the Center for Counseling and Student Development which is located above the bookstore in the Perkins Student Center. To make an appointment with an intake counselor, call the Counseling Center at 302-831-2141.
- If you are struggling with sexual abuse that occurred during childhood, you may wish to contact SOAR, Survivors Of Abuse in Recovery, at 302-655-3953. SOAR offers both individual and group counseling and functions on a sliding-fee scale for those without insurance.
- The S.O.S. Coordinator or the Counseling Center can make referrals to counselors in private practice in the community who specialize in these topics. Call Student Wellness & Health Promotion and ask to speak to Angela for a referral, 302-831-3457. Or call the Counseling Center at 302-831-2141.
- Often it helps to tell someone you trust such as a close and trusted friend, parent, or other family member about the assault. Having a system of support is very important for survivors after a sexual assault.
Counseling, Advocacy & Support Groups:
To reach the SOS Victim Advocate on duty (24 hrs/day) call 302-831-2226. The person who answers will take a first name and phone number and the advocate will call you back within 10 minutes.
Netflix and Chill?
209 Smith Hall
Talking about sex can be scary. Find out how your peers ask for sex in this fun, interactive exercise. Learn more about verbal, and non-verbal indicators your partner may use to indicate consent or not-consent, and learn some new sexy ways to ask! Presented by Sexual Offense Support (S.O.S.) and sponsored by the Sexual Assault Prevention & Education Committee.
First Annual St. Patrick's Day Dance
Trabant Student Center, MPRs
Must have student ID or sign in, security screening at entrance. Sponsored by the UD St. Patrick's Day Planning Committee. Call 831-3457 for information.
Perkins Live FINALE
Perkins Student Center
Get your GREEN on! Sponsored by the UD St. Patrick's Day Planning Committee. Call 831-3457 for information.
Shamrock Fest GLOW GREEN
Perkins Student Center
Lots of events including blacklight zumba, blacklight dodgeball & more. The Shamrock Fest Express will run from Laird campus to Perkins Student Center from 10:30am-4:30pm on Saturday. Sponsored by the UD St. Patrick's Day Planning Committee. Call 831-3457 for information.
All Recovery Yoga
160 Carpenter Sports Bldg.
FREE weekly All Recovery Yoga is here for Spring, Thursday nights at 7pm! Unlike other yoga classes, this practice focuses on poses that are restorative, rather than those with the potential to be triggering. Taught by Transformation Yoga and sponsored by the Collegiate Recovery Community and Sexual Offense Support (S.O.S.)
Wellness Speaker Series: Quiet Riot Comedy Theater
Trabant Multi-Purpose Rms A&B
Composed of two brothers, Bill and David Mettler, Quiet Riot combines comedy, mime, storytelling, music and sound effects to discuss the importance of kindness in all aspects of life. The audience will explore how kindness towards themselves and others can impact leadership and role modeling, leading to a healthier life. Sponsored by Pow! and TEDx UD. Call 831-3457 for information.