Procedures For Injury/Illness

Newark Campus: Whenever injuries or illnesses occur that require medical assistance, the Department of Public Safety shall be contacted by dialing 911 or using an emergency phone. If you use a cell phone on campus, dial 831-2222. If it is a serious injury, request the ambulance immediately; otherwise simply request an officer to transport the injured person to the appropriate medical office as listed below:


Student Health Services
Laurel Hall


Nurse Managed Health Center
Health Sciences Complex – STAR Campus
540 South College Avenue, Suite 130
Newark DE 19713
Phone 302-831-3195
Hours: Monday-Thursday 8am-4:00pm and Friday 8am to 12pm

Or After Hours:

Glasgow Medical Center
2600 Glasgow Avenue
Newark DE, 19702

Glasgow Medical Aid Unit at Christiana
200 Hygeia Dr.
Newark DE, 19713
Monday - Sunday 8am - 8pm

Other Campuses: Dial 911 for emergency assistance.

Wilmington Campus:

  • Christiana Care
    Occupational Health Services
    Wilmington Hospital
    501 W. 14th Street
    Wilmington, DE 19801

Southern Campuses:

  • Bayhealth Kent General Hospital
    640 S State St.
    Dover, DE 19901
    (302) 674-4700
  • Beebe Hospital
    Savannah Road Near Rt. 1
    Lewes, DE 19958
  • Nanticoke Memorial Hospital
    801 Middleford Road
    Seaford DE, 19973

* Under Delaware law, employees have the option to seek medical services from the provider of his or her choice for occupationally incurred injuries or illnesses.

An employee as defined by Worker's Compensation Insurance is an individual who is compensated for their activities at the University. Compensation may include payment or other forms of compensation for example room and board (University of Delaware Policy 4-48). Examples of student employees include: Resident Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Funded Graduate Students, Miscellaneous Wage Student Employees, etc.

Employees/students must notify their supervisor/instructor of all injuries/illnesses. Supervisors of employees will complete a State of Delaware First Report of Occupational Injury or Disease and Illness/Injury Loss Investigation Report form obtained from Juanita Crook in Labor Relations at 831-8305. The completed form will be submitted to Juanita Crook in Labor Relations. Injuries/illnesses for students and visitors will be reported using a "First Report of Injury/Illness and Loss Investigation Report" form obtained from the Department of Environmental Health & Safety and submitted to the Department of Environmental Health & Safety.

  • Injury/illness Investigation will be performed and documented along with the report form. Follow-up on corrective actions listed on these forms shall be the responsibility of the supervisor/instructor. Environmental Health & Safety will review the injury/illness report and investigation and conduct additional follow up as needed. Copies shall be submitted to Labor Relations for workers’ compensation activities and the department safety committee as indicated on the distribution list.
  • It is very important that all forms be submitted and the injury/illness investigation be conducted as soon as possible after an injury or illness occurs.
  • Employee/students shall not return to regular activities prior to receiving a release from their physician or the physician at O Nurse Managed Healt Center following an injury/illness.
  • Contract employees, such as Aramark or Barnes & Noble, will complete their own injury/illness report forms. However, since they are considered part of the University community they are required to provide copies of these forms to the Department of Environmental Health & Safety or submit a "First Report of Injury and Illness/Injury Loss Investigation Report" form. Refer to University Policy 7-3 for additional information. Refer to University Policy 7-3 for additional information.

For additional information regarding injury/illness reporting/investigation activities, please e-mail DEHS or call 831-8475. For employee workers compensation activities, please contact Juanita Crook, Labor Relations at or call 831-8305.