Perkins Loans must be processed by 9/30/15. Click for details.

Third Installment Plan due date is 10/1/15.


  Right to Know
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  Commitment to Delawareans

Top Financial Services Questions

How do I get financial aid for study abroad?

While aid eligibility is specific to each student, Federal financial aid may be used to cover the program fee and tuition for a study abroad session. This includes unused portions of the student's aid, as well as the Parent PLUS loan, which is a Federal loan in the name of the parent. Any overage of funding after tuition and fees are paid can be refunded by the student. Generally, all scholarships or grants for a study abroad session are awarded solely by the Institute for Global Studies. However, if a student is traveling in the Fall or Spring terms through UD's study abroad program, and already has a University scholarship or grant, a student may be able to utilize that funding for their study abroad program and tuition.

If you are studying abroad through opportunities provided another university it is possible to process federal aid eligibility through a consortium agreement. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions regarding your specific aid eligibility for a study abroad program.

My account is showing a credit balance. When and how do I request a refund?

Generally, refunds are made available around the free/drop add period of each semester. You may request a refund after your financial aid has disbursed to your account and an overpayment (credit) is indicated on your account. To request a refund, simply logon to UDSIS and look for the "Finance" tab. From there, select the "Request a Refund" link and follow the instructions. Note: Refunds are processed either through Direct Deposit (quickest method) or by check.

My financial aid does not meet any of my expenses. What are my options?

The funding provided through your financial aid will often not meet the total amount of your expenses for a given year. Financing for the remainder of costs may be obtained through educational loans. The Federal Direct PLUS loan, which is in the name of the parent, can be obtained on behalf of the student. Other loan options, referred to as "alternative loans", are non-federal loans, obtained through private lenders, and completed in the name of the student. Lenders typically require a cosigner for approval of these loan options. Information about both types of loan programs can be found here.

Can I use my aid for off-campus housing or how is aid affected?

Students receiving financial aid are given a Cost-of-Attendance budget (COA), which includes an allotment for tuition, fees, room and board, and miscellaneous living expenses. This allotment for room and board, which is the same for students living either on or off campus, allows students living in off-campus housing to utilize financial aid to cover the cost.

Financial aid received in excess of billed charges on the student account will create a credit balance, which the student can request as a refund to pay off-campus expenses (e.g., rent, utilities, groceries, etc.). Please note that refunds are not available before the first day of class for each term. Depending on the timing of the lease, you may need to pay some expenses out of pocket until a refund is able to be processed.

Delaware Residents: Funding received through the Commitment to Delawareans grant is calculated on documented need as determined from the FAFSA and the student's COA. If a student is receiving Commitment funding and chooses to move off campus, this will drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the student's eligibility to receive these funds.

Search for additional answers by typing key words pertaining to your question in the search box. Questions will automatically populate on the screen as you type. You may also select a category in conjunction with entering key words or you may only select a category to view all the questions in that group.

Type a key word to begin searching:   And / Or Select a Category   reset search


Important Announcements

Dates At A Glance

  • October 1st - Third Installment Due Date
  • October 27th - Last Day to Change Registration or Withdraw without Academic Penalty
  • November 1st - Final Installment Due Date (all balances must be cleared to register for future terms)
  • November 2nd - Winter Session 2016 Registration Begins
  • November 26th & 27th - Thanksgiving Break (University Closed)
  • December 11th - Last Day of Fall 2015 Classes
  • December 19th - Last Day of Fall 2015 Semester

Perkins Loan for 2015-2016 Academic Year
If you have been offered a Federal Perkins Loan for the 2015-2016 school year, the loan must be finalized and the fall portion disbursed to your student account by September 30, 2015. No Perkins Loans will be awarded and no loan disbursements will be made after this date.

An email has been issued from Student Financial Services if you have steps to complete to finalize your Perkins Loan. Be sure to carefully read and complete all steps listed in the email by the stated deadline, September 21, 2015, in order to avoid cancellation of the loan. You can check the status of your Perkins Loan and determine if the loan is finalized by logging in to UDSIS or My Finances and reviewing checklist items under your To Do List.

Important Changes to Federal Financial Aid for 2015-2016 Academic Year
Effective July 1, 2015, there will be changes to financial aid programs due to changes in federal regulations that may affect you. Click here for a summary of changes for 2015-2016. We recommend you review these changes carefully and plan ahead for your educational future.

Other Useful Information

Information and Resources
Student Financial Services is pleased to provide the following resources for our students. Below you can find presentations and handouts regarding financing a UD education. You can also find information on using My Finances, the University's self-service site for your student account.

Federal Loan Exit Counseling:
Students who will not be registered at least half-time in the fall and who have borrowed federal educational loans are required to complete a process known as Exit Counseling. Students can complete this process at and may contact the Federal Direct Loans group (800-848-0979) with any questions.

SFS Yearly Calendar

Calendar Image

Click the calendar to review key dates for financial aid processing, billing and payment, registration, and SFS presentations.