Prospective and newly admitted students click here for the New Student Info site.

Your 2015-2016 FAFSA can be completed at

1098-T Tax forms for potentially eligible students can be found on My Finances.


  Right to Know
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  Commitment to Delawareans


Top Financial Services Questions

I'm a part-time student. When will my aid disburse?

We begin adjusting aid after the drop/add period to help facilitate disbursement of funds for part-time students. Please note: Undergraduate students must be enrolled for 6 or more credits and Graduate students must be enrolled for 4.5 or more credits to be eligible for financial aid.

When can I expect to receive my financial aid award?

Incoming freshman students who have filed the FAFSA by the recommended February 15th filing date will receive financial aid awards by mid-March. Students not filing the FAFSA, or who submitted the form after that will receive awards in early April. Awards will be mailed, and they will also be accessible in the student's My Blue Hen Home portal.

Returning students can expect to receive financial aid awards early-July. Award notifications for returning students are sent via email to the student's UDEL email address, and the actual award will be viewable by logging on to UDSIS.

How do I get financial aid for study abroad?

While aid eligibility is specific to each student, Federal financial aid may be used to cover the program fee and tuition for a study abroad session. This includes unused portions of the student's aid, as well as the Parent PLUS loan, which is a Federal loan in the name of the parent. Any overage of funding after tuition and fees are paid can be refunded by the student. Generally, all scholarships or grants for a study abroad session are awarded solely by the Institute for Global Studies. However, if a student is traveling in the Fall or Spring terms through UD's study abroad program, and already has a University scholarship or grant, a student may be able to utilize that funding for their study abroad program and tuition.

If you are studying abroad through opportunities provided another university it is possible to process federal aid eligibility through a consortium agreement. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions regarding your specific aid eligibility for a study abroad program.

My account is showing a credit balance. When and how do I request a refund?

Generally, refunds are made available around the free/drop add period of each semester. You may request a refund after your financial aid has disbursed to your account and an overpayment (credit) is indicated on your account. To request a refund, simply logon to UDSIS and look for the "Finance" tab. From there, select the "Request a Refund" link and follow the instructions. Note: Refunds are processed either through Direct Deposit (quickest method) or by check.

My financial aid does not meet any of my expenses. What are my options?

The funding provided through your financial aid will often not meet the total amount of your expenses for a given year. Financing for the remainder of costs may be obtained through educational loans. The Federal Direct PLUS loan, which is in the name of the parent, can be obtained on behalf of the student. Other loan options, referred to as "alternative loans", are non-federal loans, obtained through private lenders, and completed in the name of the student. Lenders typically require a cosigner for approval of these loan options. Information about both types of loan programs can be found here.

Can I use my aid for off-campus housing or how is aid affected?

Students receiving financial aid are given a Cost-of-Attendance budget (COA), which includes an allotment for tuition, fees, room and board, and miscellaneous living expenses. This allotment for room and board, which is the same for students living either on or off campus, allows students living in off-campus housing to utilize financial aid to cover the cost.

Financial aid received in excess of billed charges on the student account will create a credit balance, which the student can request as a refund to pay off-campus expenses (e.g., rent, utilities, groceries, etc.). Please note that refunds are not available before the first day of class for each term. Depending on the timing of the lease, you may need to pay some expenses out of pocket until a refund is able to be processed.

Delaware Residents: Funding received through the Commitment to Delawareans grant is calculated on documented need as determined from the FAFSA and the student's COA. If a student is receiving Commitment funding and chooses to move off campus, this will drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the student's eligibility to receive these funds.

SFS Yearly Calendar

Calendar Image

Click the calendar to review key dates for financial aid processing, billing and payment, registration, and SFS presentations.

Important Announcements

Dates At A Glance

  • April 5th - Final Billing Due Date
  • April 6th - Summer Session Registration Begins for students that have fulfilled their Spring obligation
  • April 16th - Fall Session Registration Begins for students that have fulfilled their Spring obligation
  • April 21st - Last Day to Withdrawal from Spring without Academic Penalty

Summer Session Financial Aid
Students who are considering attending UD during the Summer Session should review important information on our Special Sessions page. Students may begin to request Summer aid eligibility in early-April.

Important Changes to Federal Financial Aid for 2014-2015 Academic Year
Effective July 1, 2014, there will be changes to financial aid programs due to changes in federal regulations that may affect you. Click here for a summary of changes for 2014-2015. We recommend you review these changes carefully and plan ahead for your educational future. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us using our feature.

Other Useful Information

Information and Resources
Student Financial Services is pleased to provide the following resources for our students. Below you can find presentations and handouts regarding financing a UD education. You can also find information on using My Finances, the University's self-service site for your student account.

Federal Loan Exit Counseling:
Students who will not be registered at least half-time in the fall and who have borrowed federal educational loans are required to complete a process known as Exit Counseling. Students can complete this process at and may contact the Federal Direct Loans group (800-848-0979) with any questions.