Prospective and newly admitted students click here for the New Student Info site.

Your 2015-2016 FAFSA can be completed at

1098-T Tax forms for potentially eligible students can be found on My Finances.


  Right to Know
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  Commitment to Delawareans


Top Financial Services Questions

How do I cancel my Winter Session dining plan if I do not plan to live in on-campus housing during the Winter Session?

All students expected to be living on campus (apartments excluded) during Winter Session are required to have a Dining Plan. If you do not plan to live in on-campus housing during the Winter Session you may still opt out by accessing the Winter Session Application in the My Housing portal and selecting the "Cancel your Winter Session Assignment" next to the Application Status. If you've been assessed the Dining Charge please allow up to 48 hours for a credit to be issued.

How do I request a review of Winter aid eligibility?

Students whose winter enrollment will be at least 6 credit hours may request any unused Federal student loan eligibility remaining in the standard academic year for winter session. If you are interested in being awarded this additional loan eligibility in Winter, you may submit a request. Within 5-7 business days after you submit your request, your updated financial aid package will be available for review through UDSIS to view/accept your financial aid. In addition, your parents may also apply for a Parent PLUS Loan to cover your costs.

If you plan to enroll in fewer than 6 credit hours, financial aid options would include alternative loans that do not require a student to attend greater than half time. You can find information on various alternative lender options, including links to the loan applications, here. We will receive confirmation from the lender if you are approved and package you at that time.

Note that Winter Session charges are assessed upon registration, and are due by January 5th, 2015.

Can I use my aid for off-campus housing or how is aid affected?

Students receiving financial aid are given a Cost-of-Attendance budget (COA), which includes an allotment for tuition, fees, room and board, and miscellaneous living expenses. This allotment for room and board, which is the same for students living either on or off campus, allows students living in off-campus housing to utilize financial aid to cover the cost.

Financial aid received in excess of billed charges on the student account will create a credit balance, which the student can request as a refund to pay off-campus expenses (e.g., rent, utilities, groceries, etc.). Please note that refunds are not available before the first day of class for each term. Depending on the timing of the lease, you may need to pay some expenses out of pocket until a refund is able to be processed.

Delaware Residents: Funding received through the Commitment to Delawareans grant is calculated on documented need as determined from the FAFSA and the student's COA. If a student is receiving Commitment funding and chooses to move off campus, this will drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the student's eligibility to receive these funds.

My account is showing a credit balance. When and how do I request a refund?

Generally, refunds are made available around the free/drop add period of each semester. You may request a refund after your financial aid has disbursed to your account and an overpayment (credit) is indicated on your account. To request a refund, simply logon to UDSIS and look for the "Finance" tab. From there, select the "Request a Refund" link and follow the instructions. Note: Refunds are processed either through Direct Deposit (quickest method) or by check.

My financial aid does not meet any of my expenses. What are my options?

The funding provided through your financial aid will often not meet the total amount of your expenses for a given year. Financing for the remainder of costs may be obtained through educational loans. The Federal Direct PLUS loan, which is in the name of the parent, can be obtained on behalf of the student. Other loan options, referred to as "alternative loans", are non-federal loans, obtained through private lenders, and completed in the name of the student. Lenders typically require a cosigner for approval of these loan options. Information about both types of loan programs can be found here.

How do I get financial aid for study abroad?

While aid eligibility is specific to each student, Federal financial aid may be used to cover the program fee and tuition for a study abroad session. This includes unused portions of the student's aid, as well as the Parent PLUS loan, which is a Federal loan in the name of the parent. Any overage of funding after tuition and fees are paid can be refunded by the student. Generally, all scholarships or grants for a study abroad session are awarded solely by the Institute for Global Studies. However, if a student is traveling in the Fall or Spring terms through UD's study abroad program, and already has a University scholarship or grant, a student may be able to utilize that funding for their study abroad program and tuition.

If you are studying abroad through opportunities provided another university it is possible to process federal aid eligibility through a consortium agreement. Please contact Student Financial Services with any questions regarding your specific aid eligibility for a study abroad program.

SFS Yearly Calendar

Calendar Image

Click the calendar to review key dates for financial aid processing, billing and payment, registration, and SFS presentations.

Important Announcements

Winter Session Financial Aid
Students who are looking at attending UD during the Winter Session should review important information on our Special Sessions page.

Student Health Insurance:
As of Fall 2013, all full-time students are required to have health insurance and must verify their coverage at the beginning of each academic year. Students can waive (if already covered under their own plan or a parent's) or enroll in UD's Student Health Insurance Plan (if not already covered) by visiting Students who do not waive by the end of the fall semester free drop/add date (or spring semester free drop/add if starting in the spring) will be enrolled automatically in the UD Plan and will be responsible for associated charges. Please visit for more details regarding this requirement.

Important Changes to Federal Financial Aid for 2014-2015 Academic Year
Effective July 1, 2014, there will be changes to financial aid programs due to changes in federal regulations that may affect you. Click here for a summary of changes for 2014-2015. We recommend you review these changes carefully and plan ahead for your educational future. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us using our feature.

Other Useful Information

Information and Resources
Student Financial Services is pleased to provide the following resources for our students. Below you can find presentations and handouts regarding financing a UD education. You can also find information on using My Finances, the University's self-service site for your student account.

Federal Loan Exit Counseling:
Students who will not be registered at least half-time in the fall and who have borrowed federal educational loans are required to complete a process known as Exit Counseling. Students can complete this process at and may contact the Federal Direct Loans group (800-848-0979) with any questions.