- "Delaware's Housing Crisis: Can Human Needs Be Met?,"
Delaware Humanities Forum, panel member of conference, 1973,
- "Urban Pleasure Gardens and the Spirit of the Times,"
- Program Seminars, 1975, Kennett Square,
- "The Scalar Increase of R§ga:
Human Implications," Third Conference on Baltic
Studies in Scandinavia, Stockholm, 1975.
- "People and Nature: Conflict or Cooperation?",
planner and panel member,Delaware Humanities Forum,
1976, Newark, Delaware.
- "Teaching Strategies in Cultural Geography,"
Geographic Education Workshop, panel member, San Francisco,
- "Alexander von Humboldt as Humanist: The Cultural
Significance of His Writings,"Artes et Scientia:
American Painting and Science in the
Nineteenth Century; a symposium sponsored by the National
Collection of Fine Arts, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. and
Department of Art History, University of Delaware. Newark, Delaware, 1979.
- Chairperson, Paper Session, "Cultural Geography:
Landscape Symbolism and Art," 75th Anniversary Meeting
of the Association of American Geographers,
- Designer and Leader of Historical Geography Field Trip,
75th Anniversary Meeting of the Association
of American Geographers, Philadelphia, 1979.
- "Humboldt and the Hudson River School," 76th
Meeting of the Association of American
Geographers, Louisville, 1980.
- Chairperson, Paper Session, "Folklore and Mythology,"
7th Conference on Baltic Studies, Georgetown
University, Washington, D.C., 1980.
- "City as the Natural Home of Man", Annual
Conference/Environmental Design Research Association,
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1982.
- "Method, Method, Where Art Thou?", 78th
Annual Meeting of the Association of
American Geographers, San Antonio, 1982.
- "Mind and Milieu in the Landscapes of Frederic Church,"
79th Annual Meeting of the Association
of American Geographers, Denver, 1983.
- Delegate representing Lund University, Kulturgeografiska
Institutionen, International Conference on Nature,
Culture, Technology (sponsored by the Swedish Council for
Planning and Coordination of Research), Stockholm, 1983.
- Discussant, Environmental Perception Specialty Group:
"Urban Landscape and the Arts," 83rd Annual Meeting of the
Association of American Geographers, Portland, OR, 1987.
- "In Pursuit of Genius Loci: A Comparative Analysis
of Great Plains Literature," Joint Meeting, Great Plains/Rocky
Mountain Division, Association of American Geographers and Prairie Division,
Canadian Association of Geographers, Regina, Sask., Canada 1987.
- "The Micro-Macro Cosmos Archetype and Modern Sense
of Place," A Commonplace Conference on the Philosophy of Place,
Penn State University, 1987.
- "Literary-Artistic Humanism in Geography: Universality
of Individual Subjectivities," Annual Meeting, Eastern Historical
Geographers Association, Worcester, MA, 1989.
- "Geografija Amerika," (Geography in the United
States), The Annual Meeting of Geography Educators, R§ga,
un m~kslas apvienošanas probl‘ma
geogr~fija," (The Problem
of Unifying Science and Art in Geography), Global Congress of Latvian
- "Dazi cilvec§gas
vides veidosanas aspekti postmodernisma laikmet~
(Some Issues of a Humane Environment During the Postmodern Era), Global
Congress of Latvian Scientists, R§ga,
- "Can Humanism Prevail in the Postmodern Era?"
Baltijos Valstybiu Mokslo Ir Technikos Istorijos Konferencija (Baltic
Nations Conference on Art, Technology, and History), Vilnius, Lithuania,
- "Minorities in the Baltic Countries," UNESCO,
Kursus Om Balticum (Seminar on the Baltic States), Overnaes, Denmark, April
- "Trimda k~
šodienas cilv‘ces visp~r§gs
st~voklis un t~s
ietekme cilv‘kos un ainav~s
(In Latvian: Exile as a general contemporary human condition and its effect
on people and landscapes), Applied Science Conference: Ecology, the
Human Being, and the Cultural Milieu, Jelgava, Latvia, June 18-19,
- "Small Cities in Postmodern Cultural Contexts"
(presented in Latvian and English), AGSB Symposium in R§ga
(Nordic Council, sponsor), R§ga,
- "Small Towns in Postindustrial, Postmodern Contexts.
Or Significance of the Free Global Market in Landscapes and Places."
Development Problems of the Small Towns in the Blatic States, Riga,
- "Prospects for Ethnic Harmony in the Baltic States."
1993 Fulbright Conference: Pathways to Peace, Washington, DC.
- "Ethnic Tension, Ethnic Harmony in the Baltic States."
AAG 90th Annual Meetings, San Francisco, 1994.
- "Sense of Place and National Identity in Post-Colonial
Latvia." AAG 91st Annual Meetings, Chicago, 1995.
- "The Postindustrial City: Exile or New Homeland."
AAG 92 Annual Meetings, Charlotte, NC. 1996.
- "Amerikas Malu Pilsetas: Trimda Vai Jauna Dzimtene?"
(American Edge Cities: Exile or New Homeland) Latvijas Universitates
55 Zinatniska Konference (The 55th Scientific Conference of the University
of Latvia). Riga, Latvia. 1996.
“Kadel latvieshu ainavu estetika nav dizenais? (In Latvian: Why Is the Sublime Missing From Latvian Landscape Aesthetics?), Cilveks, vide, resurci. Riga, 1997.
“The Reality of Rural Landscape and Nature Symbolism in the Formation of a Post-Soviet,
Post-modern Latvian Identity,” The Permanent European Conference For the Study of Rural Landscapes, Trondheim, Norway, 1998.
“Case of the Missing Sublime in Latvian Landscape Aesthetics, The Permanent European Conference For the Stdudy of Rural Landscapes, University of London, Royal Holloway and University of Wales at Aberystwyth, 2000.
“Geografiskas izjutas augstas tehnikas era: Uz teoriju, ka harmonizet dabu, cilveka dabu un kulturu (In Latvian: Geographic Sensibilities In An Era of High Technology: Towards a Theory of Harmonizing Nature, Human Nature, and Culture). 58th Scientific Conference at the University of Latvia, Riga, 2000.
“Paklanies cirulim: Etika, daba, un ainava Barija Lopeza darbos.” (In Latvian: Bow Before the Horned Lark: Ethics, Nature, and Landscape in the Works of Barry Lopez). 60th Scientific Conference at the University of Latvia, Riga, 2001.
Discussant, Paper Session, “The Lowenthal Papers” (papers by Hall, Cosgrove, Tuan, and
Olwig). 98th Annual Meetings of the Association of American Geographers, Los Angeles.
“Of Sacred Oaks, Erratic Boulders, and Milkmaids: The Poet Imants Ziedonis and Art as Mediator Between Different Landscape Discourses,” The Permanent European Conference For the Study of Rural Landscapes, Tartu, Estonia, 2002.
“Amerikas dizenie klajumi: Pretrunigi ainavu vertejumi” (In Latvian. The Great Plains of America: Contradictory Landscape Evaluations). Latvijas Universitates 61 zinatniska konference, Riga, 2003.
Congress: World association of Latvian Scientists & LETONIKA, October 2011:“The human being in the Landscape, Landscape in the human being” Forum of Landscape Architects March 9-10 : “Landscape and the idea of home.”
IV Congress of Latvian Geographers--Geography in a changing world: New landscapes and practices. March 16-17 2012 : “Knowing self and landscape”