University of Delaware Missing Student Policy
(1) The University of Delaware (UD) takes student safety seriously. To this end, and in compliance with the Missing Student Notification Policy and Procedures (Section 488 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008), the following policy has been developed in order to assist in locating UD students, who, based on the facts and circumstances known to the University, are determined to be missing. It is the policy of UD to actively investigate any report of a missing student. All students will be notified of the missing student policy and the procedures UD would follow in the event that they are reported missing.
(2) Each student will be asked to identify the name and contact number of the individual(s) whom UD will notify within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing. For any student under the age of 18, and not an emancipated individual, the institution is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing, in addition to notifying any additional contact person designated by the student. Students' contact information will be registered confidentially, made accessible only to authorized campus officials, and will not be disclosed except to law enforcement personnel in furtherance of a missing person investigation.
(3) If a member of the University community has reason to believe that a student is missing, he or she must report it to the University of Delaware Police Department (UDPD), located at 413 Academy Street, Newark DE 19716. For non-emergencies call 831-2222; for emergencies call 911. All efforts will be made immediately (no waiting period) to locate the student to determine his or her state of health and well-being. These efforts include, but are not limited to, calling the student's cell phone and sending a text message, looking at social networking sites, checking the student's room, interviewing roommates and friends, checking attendance in class, checking ID card access and key fob use, and locating the student's vehicle.
(4) If upon investigation by UDPD, the student is determined missing for at least 24 hours, the Dean of Students will contact the student's designated emergency contact (or custodial parent or legal guardian if the student is under the age of 18 or has failed to designate an emergency contact). UDPD will notify the Newark Police Department within 24 hours of the determination that a student is missing, unless Newark police was the entity that made the determination that the student is missing. UDPD will continue to investigate utilizing established police investigative procedures and in collaboration with staff from the Dean of Students' Office and Residence Life. UDPD will also co-ordinate its efforts with outside law enforcement agencies in full compliance with legal obligations and good police practice.
(5) The Missing Student Policy will be included in the following documentations:
- Student Guide to University Policies;
- Residence Life Website;
- Information provided to students at point they complete emergency contact information (SIS); and
- Annual Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act.