2014 Policies, Rules and Regulations
Pool Rules and Regulations
New members: New members may register at the Fred Rust
Ice Arena or online starting April 7, 2014..
Returning members: Renewal membership , with payment by check, can be made by mail to
Outdoor Pool, University of Delaware, 547 S. College Ave., Newark, DE 19716, or online http://www.udel.edu/outdoorpool/membership.html starting April 7, 2014.
- ID Cards
Members will be admitted only with picture ID cards. Identification cards will be issued at UD's Student Services
Building at 30 Lovett Ave. from 8:30am- 4:30pm, Mondays through Fridays. The ID office is closed 1-2pm for lunch.
Note: The ID office will be open
until 7 p.m. on the following nights:
Individuals with the UD#1 card do not need an additional ID card for the pool, but will not be able to use the
card at the pool until membership fees have been paid. There is a $5 replacement fee to issue a new card to a renewing member if their card is lost or damaged. There is no charge to update a child's ID if it has been a minimum of 4 years since the child's card was issued.
- Wednesday, June 18
- Wednesday, June 25
- Guest Rules
- Guests must be accompanied by an adult member.
- Guests must be under the immediate supervision of the sponsoring member at all times.
- Guests may not remain within the pool complex without the sponsoring adult member.
- Guest fees are paid at the Outdoor Pool Entrance.
- Members under the age of 13 may NOT bring in a guest without an adult member present.
- The Swim Test
In order to use the tube slides, you must be a strong swimmer and able to pass the swim test. The basic swim test is designed to ensure that each member can
swim a minimum of 70 feet, swim underwater, use proper breath-control techniques, and demonstrate self-confidence.
Please see the lifeguard to administer the swim test.
The swim test is as follows:
- Jump in, resurface, tread water for 30 seconds.
- Go down and touch the bottom of the pool and resurface.
- Swim two widths of the slide area, using a strong stroke on the stomach (front).
Pool members and guests must have a valid UD visitors pass for parking which can be obtained at the Fred Rust Ice Aren Information Window. Parking for the pool is provided free in FRONT of the Fred Rust Ice Arena. Parking on the side of the Fred Rust Ice Arena during the week is reserved for UD Faculty/Staff. If you park in the parking meter area you must pay the meter fee. If you need special arrangments, call Parking Services at 831-1184.
- Monday-Friday 7am-5pm Visitors Pass is needed (guests need visitors pass as well)
- No pass is required after 5pm and on weekends
- All vehicles must be parked in a valid space
- Parking is not allowed in the grass, fire lanes or other spaces not designated as a parking area
- If you park in a meter area you must pay the meter fee as the meters are enforced 24/7
- $20 PROCESSING FEE ON ALL RETURNED CHECKS
Pool Rules and Regulations
- If the pool needs to close due to inclement weather, pool staff will receive weather updates from our text alert system. Everyone must clear the pool deck and grass picnic area. The pool will ONLY repoen once we receive an all-clear alert. If the closing happens within the last 90 minutes of the pool operation time for the day, the pool will be closed for the reminder of the day.
- Everyone entering the pool must take a shower and swim attire will be:
- Bathing suit. No thongs allowed.
- At no time will individuals wearing street clothes or infants in uncovered disposable or
cloth diapers be permitted in the pool. No
diaper disposal is permitted in the pool enclosure.
- Proper swimming attire also is required to enter the pool enclosure.
Street clothes will not be permitted on the pool deck.
- Swim diapers are required for children who are not toilet trained. Regular disposable or cloth diapers are notpermitted in either the splash pool or themain pool. Swim diapers can be purchased at the pool.
- Food and beverages are permitted in designated areas ONLY.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted on the premises.
- No smoking is permitted in the pool enclosure.
- No running, horseplay or unsafe behavior will be tolerated.
- Diving is not allowed.
- Only Coast Guard-approved (USCG Type I, II, III, IV) life
jackets are permitted for non-swimmers. Outdoor pool does have a limited supply of coast guard approved vests for members to borrow.
- Use of masks, snorkels, fins, etc. must be approved by the
pool manager on duty. All inflatables are only allowed in the SPLASH pool.
- Repeated violation of these rules or conduct detrimental to others will result in the termination of membership.
- Please adhere to the rules and regulations displayed inside the pool area.
- Children and young guests must have immediate supervision by an adult
at all times while attending the pool. (See Guest Rules)
- Tube Slide Rules (Must be at least 48" tall to ride on the slides)
- Non-swimmers are not allowed to use the slides.
- Use of slides are restricted to persons that have passed the swim test.
- Wait at the bottom of steps until the person in front goes down the slide.
- Go down slide in sitting position ONLY, feet first.
- Do not go down the slide until the landing area is clear (swimmer is at the exit ladder)
- Exit pool Immediately to the ladder on the same side of the slide you just went down.
- One person on the slide at a time.
- Diving masks, snorkels and flippers not permitted.
- Do not sit on the end of the slide.
- Splash Pool Rules
- The splash pool is for young children up to 48 inches tall.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult or guardian and monitored at all times while usin gthe splash pool.
- Running is prohibited in the splash pool.
- All users of the pool slide must be in a sitting position feet first ONLY. No climbing is allowed. .
- Swim Diapers are required in the splash pool.
- Towels should not be draped over fence so that the staff has a clear unobstructed view of the splash pool.