From our Alumni Association
Previously I have highlighted the UD Alumni Association strategic plan and initiatives that were created to help ensure that our objectives, programs, awards, scholarships and mission statement all align with UD’s Path to Prominence. As I write my final letter as president, I want to highlight several of the Association’s significant accomplishments during the past two years. We:
• Finalized a formal strategic plan, strategic initiatives, action items and new vision and mission statements;
• Implemented new alumni benefits for term life, travel, dental and major medical insurance, and are finalizing partnerships with Bed, Bath and Beyond, Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions, and FineStationery.com—all of which help support alumni programs and UDAA scholarships;
• Renegotiated our Bank of America affinity program contract;
• Developed a new transparent financial reporting and budgeting process;
• Updated our bylaws to improve board organization structure and efficiencies;
• Increased our focus on alumni programs, clubs and events to help strengthen alumni engagement; and
• Created a new UD tradition—Freshman Class Banner Signing, featuring the phrase, “Students Today. Blue Hens Forever.”
None of these items would have been possible without the work of the entire board of directors.
Since my last letter, Vance Funk, BE ’65, and John Gooden, EG ’88, were presented the 2010 UDAA Outstanding Alumni Award (see page 65). Vance and John exemplify alumni who have remained engaged with the University since graduation and work for the betterment of UD.
Also, on behalf of the UDAA board, I congratulate K.C. Keeler, HS ’81, for being named the 2010 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year (page 39). K.C. mentioned at the awards ceremony that he is a proud member of the UDAA and thrilled that it will receive $20,000 for scholarships.
The UDAA sponsored its third annual event prior to the women’s basketball “Pink Zone” game Feb. 20. More than 120 enthusiastic alumni and friends gathered to show their support of the Blue Hens and breast cancer awareness. We’re proud to support UD Athletics and to provide a fun opportunity to gather members of the Blue Hen family.
While my term as UDAA president ends in several months, I will continue to stay actively involved with UD and the Association. I thank the dedicated members of the Alumni Board and Office of Alumni Relations for their support over the past two years. I am proud of their accomplishments, as we all strive to actively engage and support future and current alumni in a lifelong relationship with the University of Delaware.
Thank you again for your support of UD and the UD Alumni Association. I look forward to seeing you all at Alumni Weekend June 3-5.
Alan L. Brayman ’73BE
President, UD Alumni Association