McAfee VirusScan: Additional Tools (Windows)This page provides links to files you may need to use before installing or in conjunction with McAfee VirusScan.
If your computer is infected or if you can't connect to the Internet, you can use the links below to download these files to a CD or flash drive using an unaffected, Internet-connected computer. Then, take the CD or flash drive to your computer to install the DAT file or Stinger.
McAfee Super DAT file
Follow these steps to install the McAfee Super DAT file, which will update all versions of McAfee VirusScan on your computer.
- Go to the McAfee Security Updates page. (This link will open in a new window or tab.)
- Click I agree.
- Click the most recent file in the list that begins with "sdat" (e.g., sdat6065.exe—the 4-digit number will vary from this example). Download the file to your desktop.
- Double-click the file to run it.
- Scan your computer for viruses manually. For instructions, follow the appropriate link for your operating system in the menu on the right of this page.
Use Stinger if you are trying to install McAfee VirusScan on an infected computer. You will not be able to install McAfee VirusScan until any viruses and worms are cleared from your computer using Stinger.
- Go to the McAfee Free Tools page. (This link will open in a new window or tab.)
- Download McAfee Labs Stinger to your desktop.
- Double-click the file, then click Scan Now. Stinger may take several minutes to complete its scan.
- Once finished, close Stinger.
Last updated 2/14/14