For students: How do I find volunteer opportunities?
- Students volunteer as members of UD Registered Student Organizations (RSOs).
- Some organizations are dedicated to community service; many others provide short-term volunteer opportunities.
- Each September, the Bank of America Career Services Center hosts a Volunteer Fair where students can meet with representatives from community agencies.
- Each spring, Career Services hosts a Summer Opportunities Fair where students can explore both traditional summer jobs and nonprofit internships.
- The Blue Hen Jobs database hosts nonprofit internship and volunteer opportunities.
- The Delaware State Office of Volunteerism hosts an interactive website to serve as a matchmaker between individuals and nonprofit organizations. Its focus is on Delaware agencies, and it enables students to find local volunteer opportunities.
Students may participate in global volunteer experiences through the UD Alternative Breaks Program (in development) or with Cross Cultural Solutions, IEP Abroad and its partner Pro World.
For non-profit organizations: How do I find a volunteer?
- Volunteers provide enthusiastic but limited service. Whether working in groups or serving individually, volunteers pitch in wherever needed. They might participate in a local cleanup effort, help plan and execute a one-time event or spend an hour a week reading in a local school.
- Volunteer opportunities can be listed in Blue Hen Careers. Contact Marianne Green, Assistant Director of Career Services, (302) 831-1231.
- How do I find interns?
In a standard internship, students work almost exclusively with your agency in a pre-professional placement. The academic content, if included, is usually concerned with issues of professional life. Internships typically run for a semester or summer.
- List both your internship and volunteer opportunities in Blue Hen Jobs, an updatable database that contains nonprofit volunteer opportunities and internships as well as other types of experiences.
For help crafting a notice of your opportunity, contact Scott Rappaport, (302) 831-1231.