Program Tiers: [Tier 1 - The Emerging Leader] | [Advanced Tier 1] | [Tier 2 - The Engaged Leader] | [Tier 3 - BHLP Community Fellows] | [Tier 4 - The Established Leader]
Tier 3 focuses on community leadership and engaged citizenship. Students participating in
Tier 3 are BHLP Community Fellows. Students eligible for Tier 3 may earn academic credit
for participation as a Community Fellow. Interested students should see Susan Luchey for
information and instructor permission. Participants in Tier 3 will learn what it means to be
an engaged citizen and understand the connection between community stewardship and
leadership. They will accomplish this learning outcome by working closely with a local non-
profit in order to gain an understanding of the structure, finances and operation of the agency
and then to lead a project that benefits the agency by furthering its mission. Students will:
- Gain a practical understanding of both the Social Change Model and Asset Based
Development model of leadership
- Community partners and students will be matched based on interest, if possible. 1-3
students per partner, based on agency need and ability to accommodate
- Learn about the mission, structure and management of a community partner
- Shadow agency leaders and board members to understand nature of operation
- Participate in key agency meetings
- Attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting or event (or have Chamber present workshop
for Tier 3)
- Take the lead on developing a project that benefits the agency and the community it
serves, and results in meaningful and measurable change
- Use Good to Great for the Social Sector by Jim Collins as an introductory guide to
understanding the non-profit world and how it compares to the corporate world
- Make a professional presentation of experience to BHLP staff and community partners
- Submit a formal, written proposal outlining action steps to implement generated project
All Tier 3 participants may attend the Tier 2/3 Retreat in September.
Registration: Open until August 26, 2014 (first day of class).
Lab Fee: $50.00 for Undergraduate students, $150 for Graduate students
Can be paid by check made payable to the University of Delaware. Fee covers cost of transportation to agency sites and other program needs.
REGISTER FOR BHLP via the link at the top of this site!