Program Tiers: [Tier 1 - The Emerging Leader] | [Advanced Tier 1] | [Tier 2 - The Engaged Leader] | [Tier 3 - The Established Leader]
Tier 3, The Established Leader, focuses on community leadership and engaged citizenship. Students participating in Tier 3 are BHLP Community Fellows. Participants will learn what it means to be an engaged citizen and understand the connection between community stewardship and leadership. They will accomplish this learning outcome by working closely with a local non-profit in order to gain an understanding of the structure, finances and operation of the agency and then to lead a project that benefits the agency by furthering its mission. Students will:
- Gain a practical understanding of both the Social Change Model and Asset Based Development model of leadership
- Community partners and students will be matched based on interest, if possible. 1-3 students per partner, based on agency need and ability to accommodate
- Learn about the mission, structure and management of a community partner
- Shadow agency leaders and board members to understand nature of operation
- Participate in key agency meetings
- Attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting or event (or have Chamber present workshop for Tier 3)
- Take the lead on a project that benefits the agency and the community it serves, and results in meaningful and measurable change
- Use Managing the Non-Profit Organization by Peter Drucker as an introductory guide to understanding the non-profit world and how it compares to the corporate world
- Make a professional presentation of experience to BHLP staff and community partners
All Tier 3 participants should attend the Tier 2 Retreat, September 27-29 in Ocean City, MD.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE - September 15, 2013
REGISTRATION FEE - $100.00 for Undergraduate students, $150 for Graduate students Can be paid by check made payable to the University of Delaware.
REGISTER FOR BHLP via the link at the top of this site!