Blue Hen Leadership Program Presents
QUEST: a First Year Summer Leadership Experience
Tuesday, August 20 - Saturday, August 24
Question in order to challenge the process
Understand that leadership is a quest, a journey towards self awareness
Transform yourself and impact the world in positive ways
QUEST is an opportunity for University of Delaware freshmen to get an early start on a journey of self
discovery and personal leadership development, and to gain the confidence that will support a successful
This selective program is open to a small group of freshmen who demonstrate an interest in learning about leadership and
who show a desire to thrive through engagement in the UD community.
- To foster connections among freshmen, leadership mentors and staff
- To engage in experiences that contribute to an understanding of what it means to be a respectful and
contributing member of a diverse community
- To identify personal goals and how personal awareness and decision making can impact one's ability
to achieve success
- To understand that developing as a leader is a process that involves self awareness, relationships,
skills, service to others and transformation
This 4 day adventure takes place both on and off campus and will include:
- keynote speakers (Marlon Smith, www.successbychoice.com and Tom Krieglstein, studentlauncher.org)
- guidelines on how to make a successful transition to college
- workshops on leadership, values identification, goal setting, self assessment, teambuilding
- community service
- challenge/ropes courses/swimming/canoeing and outdoor activities
- time for reflection
- social activities
Participants will be able to:
- Identify a set of personal values
- Create a list of SMART goals for the fall semester
- Identify their personal leadership style
- Learn to work effectively as part of a team
- Articulate concepts of various leadership models
- Learn to face fear, take risks, face challenges
- Identify tools for success at UD
- Form a cohort/social support network of classmates with similar goals and interests
QUEST will be conducted by Susan Luchey, Associate Director of the University Student Centers for Leadership Development;
Matthew Creasy, Program Coordinator of the University Student Centers for Leadership Development; professional staff members of UD's Division of Student Life; 12 peer mentors who have completed the Emerging Leader level of the Blue Hen Leadership Program.
Cost of the program is $300, due at time of acceptance. Cost goes towards early housing fees and meal subsidy. All
other program costs are covered by the University.
Applications are due by July 8.
Students will be notified of selection no later than July 15.
Confirmation and fee will be due by August 10.
Click here to apply for QUEST 2013!
QUEST participants have two move-in options:
- Arrive on August 20 with just the basics you'll need for three days (bedding, toiletries, clothing) and have the rest of your things arrive with family on Saturday morning. On Tuesday, you will stay, for one night, on Laird Campus. You may check in to that room any time after noon on August 20. You will have access to your permanent, assigned residence hall room between 5 and 7 pm on Wednesday, August 21. There are no exceptions.
- Bring everything you plan to have in your room all semester on Aug. 20. Hotel blocks will be reserved so that your parents can stay Tuesday night and be here to help you move in to your regular room on Wednesday, August 21 between 5 and 7 pm.
For more information, contact Susan Luchey at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (302)831-0091.