QUEST: [Overview] | [2014 Schedule] | [Peer Mentors] | [Photos] | [QUEST: A New Generation of Student Leaders]
Blue Hen Leadership Program Presents
QUEST: a First Year Summer Leadership Experience
Tuesday, August 19 - Saturday, August 23
Question in order to challenge the process
Understand that leadership is a quest, a journey towards self awareness
Transform yourself and impact the world in positive ways
QUEST is an opportunity for University of Delaware freshmen to get an early start on a journey of self discovery and
personal leadership development and to gain the confidence that will support a successful student experience.
This selective program is open to 72 students who demonstrate an interest in learning about leadership and who show
a desire to thrive through engagement in the UD community. QUEST takes place from 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 19
through noon on Saturday, August 23. QUEST participants then engage in monthly follow up activities throughout the year to ensure their successful transition to college is complete, to earn credit towards a Certificate of Excellence in Leadership, and to continue to strengthen the bonds formed in QUEST.
- Participants will foster connections among freshmen, leadership mentors and staff
- Participants will engage in experiences that contribute to an understanding of what it means to be a respectful
and contributing member of a diverse community
- Participants will identify personal goals and learn how personal awareness and decision making can impact one's
ability to achieve success
- Participants will understand that developing as a leader is a process that involves self awareness, relationships,
skills, service to others and transformation.
This four and a half day adventure takes place both on and off campus and will include
- keynote speaker (Marlon Smith, www.successbychoice.com)
- activities geared around getting to know the UD campus and traditions
- workshops on leadership, values identification, goal setting, self assessment, teambuilding
- the creation of an action plan for a successful freshmen year
- a day of community service
- challenge/ropes courses/swimming/canoeing and outdoor activities
- social activities
Participants will be able to
Move In: Two options for QUEST participants
- Identify a set of personal values
- Create a list of SMART goals for the fall semester
- Identify their personal leadership style
- Learn to work effectively as part of a team
- Articulate concepts of various leadership models
- Learn to face fear, take risks, face challenges
- Identify tools for success at UD
- Form a cohort/social support network of classmates with similar goals and interests
- Arrive on August 19th with just the basics you'll need for five days (bedding, toiletries, clothing) and have the rest of your things arrive with your family on Saturday morning. On Tuesday, you will stay, for one night, on Laird Campus in the Independence Residence Hall. You may check in at the Christiana Commons, receive your room assignment and key for the night any time between noon and 4:00 pm on August 19. You will not have access to your permanent, assigned residence hall room until Wednesday, August 20, when you will move in between 5 and 7:30 pm. There are no exceptions.
- Bring everything you plan to have in your room all semester on Aug. 19. Hotel blocks will be reserved so that your parents can stay Tuesday night and be here to help you move in to your regular room on Wednesday, August 20 between 5 and 7:30 pm. You will still stay in Independence Hall on Tuesday night.
will be conducted by Susan Luchey, Associate Director of Student Centers for Leadership Development; Matthew
Creasy, Program Coordinator for the Blue Hen Leadership Program; and twelve peer mentors who have completed the
Emerging Leader level of the UD Blue Hen Leadership Program.
Cost of the program is $400, due at time of acceptance.
Applications are due by July 10.
Students will be notified of selection no later than July 21.
Confirmation and fee will be due by August 5.
For more information, contact Susan Luchey at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling 302-831-0091.