QUEST: [Overview] | [2013 Schedule] | [2013 Peer Mentors] | [QUEST Photos] | [QUEST: A New Generation of Student Leaders by Sara Penchina]
Blue Hen Leadership Program Presents
QUEST: a First Year Summer Leadership Experience
Tuesday, August 19 - Saturday, August 23
Question in order to challenge the process
Understand that leadership is a quest, a journey towards self awareness
Transform yourself and impact the world in positive ways
QUEST is an opportunity for University of Delaware freshmen to get an early start on a journey of self discovery and
personal leadership development and to gain the confidence that will support a successful student experience.
This selective program is open to 72 students who demonstrate an interest in learning about leadership and who show
a desire to thrive through engagement in the UD community. QUEST takes place from 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 19
through noon on Saturday, August 23.
- Participants will foster connections among freshmen, leadership mentors and staff
- Participants will engage in experiences that contribute to an understanding of what it means to be a respectful
and contributing member of a diverse community
- Participants will identify personal goals and learn how personal awareness and decision making can impact one's
ability to achieve success
- Participants will understand that developing as a leader is a process that involves self awareness, relationships,
skills, service to others and transformation.
This four and a half day adventure takes place both on and off campus and will include
- keynote speaker (Marlon Smith, www.successbychoice.com)
- activities geared around getting to know the UD campus and traditions
- workshops on leadership, values identification, goal setting, self assessment, teambuilding
- the creation of an action plan for a successful freshmen year
- a day of community service
- challenge/ropes courses/swimming/canoeing and outdoor activities
- social activities
Participants will be able to
- Identify a set of personal values
- Create a list of SMART goals for the fall semester
- Identify their personal leadership style
- Learn to work effectively as part of a team
- Articulate concepts of various leadership models
- Learn to face fear, take risks, face challenges
- Identify tools for success at UD
- Form a cohort/social support network of classmates with similar goals and interests
will be conducted by Susan Luchey, Associate Director of Student Centers for Leadership Development; Matthew
Creasy, Program Coordinator for the Blue Hen Leadership Program; and twelve peer mentors who have completed the
Emerging Leader level of the UD Blue Hen Leadership Program.
Cost of the program is $400, due at time of acceptance.
Application due by July 7. Application will go live at www.udel.edu/bhlp on May 1st.
Students will be notified of selection no later than July 18.
Confirmation and fee will be due by August 1.
For more information, contact Susan Luchey at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by calling 302-831-0091.