Skating to victory
UD Collegiate Figure Skating Team wins competition on home ice
10:36 a.m., April 7, 2014--The University of Delaware Collegiate Figure Skating Team (UDFS) finished first out of 24 schools in the UD Intercollegiate Figure Skating Competition held March 23.
UDFS team members earned 143 points throughout the weekend, beating the previous U.S. Figure Skating record that they had set at the Liberty University Intercollegiate Competition by two points. This score put them 26 points ahead of their closest competitor, Boston University, which finished second with 117 points. Dartmouth College came in third place with 110 points.
Award of Valor
CAA men's soccer
“The best part of competing at home was being able to show our biggest supporters -- our faculty, friends, and family -- the passion we have for our skating and how hard we have worked all season to ‘Dare to be first,’” said UDFS President Dana Sivak. “Going into nationals it is important for the team to remain focused and confident in our pursuit of the ultimate goal of winning nationals. We anticipate defending our title in a similar way we have competed at our previous competitions, hoping to finish our incredible season with another win for the record books.”
UDFS looks to defend its 2013 national title as the team finishes its season at the 2014 US Intercollegiate Figure Skating Championships. This event will be held at Adrian (Mich.) College from April 11-13 and UDFS will compete against the top three teams from the Midwestern, Eastern, and Western conferences in hopes of earning its fourth U.S. Intercollegiate Championship title.
The UDFS winners for the University of Delaware Intercollegiate Competition include the following:
- Amanda Chasten: 1st place, Low Team Maneuvers.
- Kathleen Criss: 2nd place, Junior Ladies Freeskate; 3rd place, International Solo Dance,
- Laura Gettier: 3rd place, Gold Solo Dance; 1st place, Juvenile Ladies Freeskate; 1st place, Low Team Maneuvers.
- Kyle Herring: 1st place, Gold Solo Dance; 1st place, International Solo Dance; 2nd place, Junior Men Short Program; 2nd place, Junior Men Championship Freeskate; 2nd place, High Team Maneuvers.
- Cassandra Jeandell: 1st place, Low Team Maneuvers.
- Jonathan Jerothe: 1st place, Junior Men Short Program; 4th place, Junior Men Championship Freeskate.
- Beth Kalbach: 5th place, Novice Ladies Short Program; 4th place, Novice Ladies Freeskate.
- Brogan Kavanagh: 1st place, Senior Ladies Freeskate Group A.
- Hannah Kimberly: 2nd place, Intermediate Solo Dance; 2nd place, High Team Manuevers; 1st place, Senior Ladies Freeskate Group B.
- Natalie Motley: 2nd place, Junior Ladies Short Program; 1st place, Junior Ladies Championship Freeskate.
- Bryan Schaeffer: 3rd place, Pre-Juvenile Men Freeskate.
- Shaun Schaeffer: 1st place, Pre-Juvenile Men Freeskate.
- Clara Sherman: 2nd place, Preliminary Solo Dance; 3rd place, Juvenile Solo Dance; 1st place, Intermediate Ladies Short Program; 1st place, Intermediate Ladies Freeskate.
- Dana Sivak: 1st place, Preliminary Solo Dance; 2nd place, Senior Ladies Short Program; 2nd place, High Team Maneuvers; 1st place, Senior Ladies Championship Freeskate.
- Jessica Sugarman: 1st place, Junior Solo Dance; 3rd place, Junior Ladies Freeskate.
- Courtney Taylor: 1st place, Senior Ladies Short Program; 3rd place, Senior Ladies Championship Freeskate.
- Emily Young: 1st place, Low Team Maneuvers.