Award nominations open
Financial award nominations open to students in human services
11:40 a.m., Dec. 7, 2012--Monetary awards and scholarship nominations are currently open for University of Delaware students involved in the field of human development.
Although coordinated by the Department of Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) in UD's College of Education and Human Development, not all of the awards are limited to HDFS majors.
Getting ready for the new year
Awards and scholarships are as follows:
• Any UD undergraduate or graduate students who has demonstrated a commitment to the field of human sexuality and gender studies and an appreciation for diversity and for the betterment of society can apply for the Julie Mapes Wilgen Award in Human Sexuality and Gender Studies.
• HDFS majors who have demonstrated leadership in their field and meet the requirements can apply for the Lila C. Murphy Award for Women's Equity and Leadership or the Catherine Bieber Scholarship for Academic Achievement and Leadership in Human Development and Family Studies.
• Graduate students with advanced standing in HDFS who, by reason of scholarship ability, professional orientation, communication skills and personal commitment to becoming a strong advocate for children, may qualify for the Strattner-Gregory Graduate Child Advocacy Award.
• Students who are human services majors and have demonstrated outstanding service to the local community may qualify for the Lila C. Murphy Community and Family Services Scholarship.
• Students who have a major in HDFS, fashion and apparel studies, nutrition and dietetics, or hotel, restaurant and institutional management, or a minor in HDFS, and who are proud of a paper or poster completed for class are welcome to submit their paper or poster to the annual Marion H. Steele Symposium. Monetary awards are given to the best graduate and undergraduate submissions in each category.
The application deadline for HDFS department awards is Friday, Feb. 15.
Photo by Kathy F. Atkinson