UD senior Dan Reyes promotes a new Food Bank of Delaware program in Wilmington.

April 9:  A fair share

Lecture to address Food Bank of Delaware's Community-Supported Agriculture Program


9:08 a.m., April 3, 2013--Want to support local farmers, improve access to fresh fruits and vegetables in low-income communities and fill your table with seasonal, sustainably grown produce?

The Food Bank of Delaware’s Community Supported Agriculture Program, designed by former University of Delaware Service Learning Scholars Dan Reyes and Nick Rockwell, offers the opportunity to do all three.

Events Stories

March 5: Thought Leader event postponed

A presentation by Earl Lewis, president of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, scheduled Thursday, March 5, as part of UD's Thought Leader Speaker Series. has been postponed.

March 5: MTV 'Code' stars show canceled

SCPAB will present fan favorites from MTV's hit shows "Girl Code" and "Guy Code" at 8 p.m., Thursday, March 5, in the Multipurpose Rooms of the Trabant University Center.

On Tuesday, April 9, Reyes will hold a lecture, “A Fair Share: Inclusion and Ownership in Delaware’s Local Food Market," and discussion session from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by an open information session from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., in 187 Graham Hall.

“Buying a share from the CSA program provides you with a weekly box of high-quality produce from two local farms -- Highland Orchards in Wilmington and SIW Vegetables in Chadd’s Ford, Pa.,” says Reyes, who is now CSA outreach associate at the Food Bank of Delaware. 

He explains that 80 percent of the cost of a share goes directly to the farmers, providing much-needed capital for seeds, labor and maintenance early in the season. The other 20 percent is a tax-deductible donation that subsidizes the cost of a share for a low-income resident of Wilmington.

Every Thursday, from June 20 to Oct. 24, shares can be picked up at the Food Bank of Delaware’s Newark location (14 Garfield Way) or at the Wilmington Farmers’ Market in Cool Springs Park. Shares can be purchased online

A full share, enough for a family of four, costs $500 ($400 share + $100 tax-deductible donation) -- a competitive price for CSAs in the region. Half-shares are also available.

By the numbers, the program will:

  • Provide two local farms with $24,000 each in increased income.
  • Bring fresh, local produce to more than 130 low-income shareholders in Wilmington.
  • Add $21,600 in revenue to the Wilmington Farmers’ Market, as well as projected increases in the use of SNAP benefits -- formerly known as Food Stamps -- at the market.
  • Employ two local youth currently or formerly in the foster care system.

Reyes is a senior anthropology major in UD’s Honors Program and a Plastino Scholar.  Contact him at dreyes@fbd.org for more information.

Article by Diane Kukich

Photo by Kathy F. Atkinson

icon-fb icon-tw icon-yt icon-fs

News Media Contact

University of Delaware
Communications and Public Affairs

UDaily is produced by
Communications and Public Affairs

The Academy Building
105 East Main Street
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716 | USA
Phone: (302) 831-2792
email: publicaffairs@udel.edu
University of Delaware • Newark, DE 19716
publicaffairs@udel.edu • (302) 831-2792 • ©2012
University of Delaware • Newark, DE 19716 • USA • Phone: (302) 831-2792 • © 2013
Comments|Contact Us|Legal Notices