Links to Lesson Plans on the Constitution
National Constitution Center
The National Constitution Center's site provides lesson plans on a variety of different topics related to the Constitution. Some of these topics include but are not limited to:
- The Amendment Process and the Bill of Rights
- The Articles of Confederation
- Children's Rights
- Civil Rights
- Classroom Constitutions
- The Constitutional Convention
- Due Process of Law
The Constitutional Rights Foundation
The Constitutional Rights Foundation's site offers a variety of lesson plans and the opportunity to subscribe to its free publication The Bill of Rights in Action. This site provides content and activities on such subjects as:
- Critical Issues Surrounding the 2002 Election
- Sports and the Law
- The Impact of September 11th on the Constitution
- Military Authority
National Archives and Record Administration
The NARA provides lesson plans that place a strong emphasis on the analysis of primary documents. Each lesson on this site incorporates primary documents and records from the NARA. Lessons cover such topics as:
- The Creation of a New Nation
- The Volstead Act and Prohibition
- The Civil Rights Act
- The Electoral College and the Election of 1824
The Library of Congress
The LOC provides lesson plans that place a strong emphasis on the analysis of primary documents. Many of the lesson plans included on this site use documents from the American Memory database. Lessons cover such topics as:
- Papers of Frederick Douglass
- "Was the Constitution an abandonment of the ideals of the American Revolution?"
- The Women's Rights Movement
- The Federal Court System and the Role of Federal Prosecutors
Congress For Kids
This site is an interactive tour of the federal government led by Uncle Sam himself.
The Bill of Rights Institute
The Bill of Rights Institute provides lessons on civic virtue, citizenship, character, and republicanism using historical narratives and primary sources. Lessons cover such topics as:
- The Federalist Papers
- "Join or Die" - Unity in a Time of Crisis
- Roots of Religious Liberty
- Courage and Equality
- The Bonus Army of 1932
- Gag Rules
- Carrie Chapman Catt - The Woman of the Hour
The Democracy Project
Provides a great list of web resources with lessons plans and materials on the Constitution.
Constitution Day Web Resources
A great list of web resources selected by DSSEP to help educators prepare for Constitution Day.
Constitution Day Reading List
A reading list compiled by DSSEP that deals with the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Articles of Confederation, and other subjects which pertain to Constitution Day.
(Back to top)
Send comments to Fran O'Malley at firstname.lastname@example.org.