Section: Safety & Security
Policy Number: 7-45
Policy Name: Secondary Phone Lines
Date: September 1997
To establish a review, approval and notification procedure governing
the installation of extension phone lines to ensure maximum
effectiveness of the enhanced 911 system.
- Secondary: An extension of a primary phone line which shares
the same telephone number as the primary phone.
This policy applies to new construction, existing facilities,
upgrading/changing phone system designs or specifications, and
any other modifications to existing or planned telephone systems.
Submitted by: Environmental Health and Safety
- Secondary telephone lines are allowed in the following
- a maximum of two secondary phone lines on a primary
line provided they are on the same floor of the same
- a maximum of one secondary line on a primary line
on different floors of the same building.
- Installation of a secondary phone line is permitted only
in the same building as the primary phone line.
- All telephone installation specifications must comply
with standards established by University Telephone Services.
- All telephone locations associated with secondary phone
lines shall be programmed into the enhanced 911 system.
- Requests for exemption to these requirements shall be
addressed by the Director of Public Safety or their