Academic Policies

several students work on laptops at a counter in the Military Lounge

Academic Policies

Academic policies and procedures for veteran and military connected students, including enrollment verification, military leaves of absence, priority registration, residency requirements and the Study Abroad policy.

Enrollment Verification


To request enrollment verification for any VA forms, you will need to log into the webform below with your UD login, attach the form being requested from the VA and add any relevant comments.

If you have any trouble navigating this, please reach out to

Enrollment Verification Form

Military Leaves of Absence


A student ordered to active duty, under circumstances that preclude completion of a semester or session, will be allowed to take a leave of absence from the University for up to two consecutive semesters. To request and finalize the leave of absence:

  1. Please submit the Student Leave of Absence Notification Form and indicate the term in which your leave is scheduled.

  2. Please send a copy of your military orders to us at

Special provisions of the University of Delaware Readmission Policy apply to students seeking readmission after performing military service. Enrolled military spouses who must move due to redeployment or relocation should consult with the academic assistant dean of their college before leaving the University.


Short-Term Excused Absences

If instead you will only be absent for a week or two, you can request an excused absence from your college or program's Assistant Dean. Excused absences are at the discretion of your instructors and should be requested as soon as possible so that you can work with your professors to come up with a plan for material coverage.

Priority Registration


For each class (first-year students through seniors) numerous enrollment blocks of appointments are created, based on earned hours, to manage the enrollment process fairly and efficiently.

Veterans who are using GI Educational Benefits are given priority registration appointments within their class. For example, senior veterans are placed in a senior priority registration appointment and are able to register before other seniors. Likewise, veterans in the other classes are assigned to the priority registration appointments of their class.

Eligibility for In-state Residency

In addition to the Student Residency Classification requirements, and the University's general policies regarding classification, any student actively using the below chapters of VA benefits will be eligible for a residency credit to be added to the account after certification has been completed and, in some cases, benefits have been received. If benefits expire, the student would revert to the out-of-state rate.

  • Chapter 33 - The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®
  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery G.I. Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program
  • Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)

If you are a newly admitted student, enlist in the Delaware Reserve or National Guard, and complete training prior to starting classes, please contact the Registrar’s Office at for more information.

If you feel that you meet any of the guidelines to be reclassified as an in-state student, please review relevant policies and deadlines. You are responsible for completing the reclassification application in advance of the semseter in which you are requesting reclassification.

Student Residency Policy

Study Abroad Policy


In January 2020, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced upcoming changes to their approach to study abroad eligibility and payments. 

Effective August 1, 2020, the Post 9/11 GI Bill® will not pay for study abroad unless it is specifically listed in the degree plan as a degree requirement. Few programs at UD have a study abroad requirement. If your program does, please coordinate with your academic department or program and our office to ensure your program qualifies for VA payments under this policy.

If you have any questions, please contact our office to speak with a School Certifying Official before applying for study abroad.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Visit the VA website for more information about VA education benefits.

VA Study Abroad Information