Enrollment Services FAQ/Contact Us

Fall 2022 campus beauty scenic shots around the Green, Harrington Beach and Perkins Student Centers, October 7th, 2022.

Have Questions?  Need Assistance?  Just ask Enrollment Services.

Admitted students and families can find answers to frequently asked questions below.  If the answer isn’t included, use the contact form to ask an Enrollment Services representative.

Admitted students' Frequently Asked Questions


Some Delaware residents may be admitted to an Associates in Arts Degree program in Wilmington, Dover, or Georgetown. Generally, these students show promise for earning a bachelor's degree, but the Admissions Committee recognized some deficiencies in their academic preparation. The Associates in Arts Program offers a student the opportunity to take University of Delaware courses but in a smaller and more nurturing environment. The program is designed to increase a student's chance to earn a bachelor's degree after successful completion of the first two years in the Associates in Arts program. Students who also completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be eligible to receive the SEED Scholarship while in the Associate in Arts Program..

Much time and care went into making decisions about admission to the University Honors Program. The Admissions Committee looked very closely at all components of the application paying most attention to the rigor of your curriculum and your grades. Most freshmen admitted to the Honors Program have taken most of the courses at the Honors, AP or IB level throughout high school and have earned strong grades. Of course, standardized test scores, SAT subject tests and AP test scores, leadership experience, philanthropy, local and regional awards and recognition were also important in the decision.

Freshmen admitted for the fall semester who did not initially apply to the University Honors Program may work with their academic advisor to ensure courses are taken in a student's first year to allow them to apply to the Honors Program at the end of the freshman year. Visit the Honors College page for more information.

All students are required to complete the Math Placement Exam. It is in your best interest to take the Math Placement Exam sometime around June 1, regardless of AP scores. There are practice questions available to complete before taking the actual exam. You should take the exam no later than a week before your orientation date.

New students wishing to pursue a double major or add a minor will be able to discuss this process with their academic advisor during New Student Orientation this summer. While students can take courses towards the addition of another program, students will not officially declare second majors or minors until later in their academic career.

You may submit a change of major request form in your My Blue Hen Home portal. Be advised that you will only see majors that are currently available and to which you would automatically be admitted. Displayed majors may change over time. If you have any questions, contact your admission counselor to discuss. Counselor contact information can also be found in your My Blue Hen Home portal.


The Admissions Committee reviews all applicants for their first choice major. When a program is particularly competitive or has limited space freshman year, an alternate major is considered. Please remember that many students change their majors while enrolled at UD and all majors have a review process for admitting currently enrolled UD students.

Deferrals are typically approved for those accepted and deposited students who are undertaking a service-oriented and/or educationally purposeful gap year or semester or who have medical situations/ilnesses or military obligations. To initiate a deferral process, you will need to access the deferral form, complete all required fields, and supply any additional documentation that may be requested. Documentation will likely be a doctor's letter, military orders with dates of deployment, or an acceptance letter to a gap year/semester program. Should you have any questions, please reach out to Scott Grzenda. In the subject line, place "Request a Deferral" and in the body please include your name and UD ID # (starts with 70) and the reason for the deferral. The $500 Admissions deposit is required in order to defer.

You can check the status of your deposits by logging in to your My Blue Hen Home and reviewing your status page. Confirmation of your deposit should appear at the top of the page.

Students who decide not to matriculate will forfeit their admission and housing deposits. Families with financial hardships, or who believe there are special circumstance that would warrant the return of a deposit, can speak with the Housing and Admissions offices directly using the contact information below.

Housing – 302-831-4663 or reslife-housing@udel.edu

Admissions – 302-831-8123 or admissions@udel.edu

You will automatically be refunded for a duplicate payment. Please save any receipts and/or confirmations you may receive pertaining to the payments for future reference. The refund process may take a few weeks, so please be patient. We are unable to make immediate refunds.

Cost and Payment Plans

Actual current year costs can be found on our Rates page. Estimated education costs for the upcoming year will be included in your financial aid offer notice and will be available around mid-March. Final costs for next year will be available in July.

The University of Delaware offers monthly installment plans to help students and families finance their costs over the course of a term and/or academic year. In general, the installment plan enables families to spread their semester payments over four monthly installments for a $50 fee per semester. For more information, refer to the SFS website.

Financial Aid

Merit scholarships are offered through the admissions process, and scholarship notifications are generally mailed out a few weeks after the offer of admission. All scholarships and grants will also be listed on the aid notice. The aid offer is available on the My Blue Hen Home Financial Portal once any aid is offered. Beginning in mid-March, aid notices reflecting both merit and need-based aid, for students who have filed a FAFSA, will be mailed the student’s home address.

International applicants applying for fall freshman admissions will be considered for merit scholarships provided they meet the priority admissions application deadline of January 15. However, international applicants are not eligible for federal need-based financial aid.

We offer limited scholarships to transfer students, and you can find information about these on the Admissions Transfer page. At the end of every academic year, all students who filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are also evaluated for University funding through our annual scholarship process, which is based on available funding. Transfer students who complete the FAFSA will be considered for federal need-based aid as well.

Yes, you should send copies of letters for all outside scholarship offers that you receive to Student Financial Services. This will ensure the funding is posted accurately once we receive it from the donor. Please note that in the absence of specific instructions, all scholarship funds are split equally between the Fall and Spring terms. Our mailing address is 30 Lovett Avenue, Newark, DE 19716.

Depending on the amount of your outside scholarship, your current aid may be affected. If you would like specific information on the impact of an outside scholarship, we invite you to submit your questions using the contact form below.

Students (Delaware residents) who are accepted into the Associates in Arts Program may be eligible to receive the SEED Scholarship, which covers the tuition portion of the student bill. While the majority of the bill will be funded, the student will still be responsible for mandatory fees associated with registration. To be eligible for the SEED Scholarship, the student must have a graduated from a Delaware high school with a 2.5 GPA, be a Delaware resident, and have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may view additional information on the Associate in Arts page. Please keep in mind that funding levels for this program are set by the Delaware legislature and may be limited.

You can check whether or not we've received your FAFSA by logging in to My Blue Hen Home and clicking on the "My Finances Aid Notice” beginning in mid-December. A notification on your aid notice will advise you if we have not received your FAFSA. Please ensure you use UD’s school code (001431) when submitting your FAFSA information.

You can correct your FAFSA by logging in to the FAFSA. Once you've logged on, search for "Correcting the FAFSA". Follow the instructions to make the necessary corrections.

Student Financial Services will share information regarding merit-based scholarship eligibility by mid-March, and all students who apply for admission prior to January 15th are considered for scholarships. Students who file a FAFSA by the January 15th recommended due date will receive a comprehensive aid notice with information on merit and need-based aid in mid-April. Financial aid offers will be available online on your My Blue Hen Home around the same time as well. We invite you to submit questions about the FAFSA and need-based aid using the contact form below.

The work-study program allows students to earn money, generally through on-campus employment, to help pay for educational or personal expenses. Students who are eligible for work-study will see the funding on their financial aid offer. Students with work-study will be emailed approximately two weeks before the start of the semester and asked by the start of classes to view the positions and submit a request for interview to jobs of interest. The 'Preferred Contact' will receive an e-mail with basic skill information as well as some prior work experience to assist them in determining if this is a candidate they would like to interview. Note that in order to work you will also have to provide a driver's license and social security card or a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you have a passport, that can also be used in place of the other documents.

While every effort has been made to have the Net Price Calculator provide a reasonable estimate of aid eligibility for our students, a calculator can't take into account all of the nuances of the admissions and financial aid processes. For instance, straight GPA may not indicate the trend in grades or difficulty of coursework. Additionally, the calculator cannot factor in the overall strength of the applicant pool, which also has an impact in how scholarships are offered.

Most students will borrow through the federal Direct Loan programs. Depending on student cost and the borrowing limits within these programs, parents may borrow through the federal PLUS loan program, or the parents and/or students may borrow through a private educational lender of their choosing. Additional information on various loan programs can be found under the SFS website.

Parents can generally borrow up to the full cost of education less other financial aid through the federal PLUS loan program. Additional information, including the application, on this loan can be found on the federal Student Aid website.

If you get turned down for a PLUS loan, you can appeal that decision with the federal government. If successful, the loan will be processed for you. If you aren't successful, you may need to have a creditworthy U.S. endorser to cosign your loan. If an endorser is not available, the student can receive additional unsubsidized student loan of up to $4,000 for freshmen and sophomores and up to $5,000 for juniors and seniors.

The general conditions for UD-sponsored scholarships and grants are as follows:

  1. Continuous, full-time enrollment (at least 12 credit hours) each Fall and Spring Semester with at least a minimum of 12 credits earned each semester towards your degree. Listener and withdrawn credits do not count towards the 12 credits, but pass/fail grades normally do.
  2. Maintain the minimum cumulative grade point averages (GPA) specified for your scholarship. This information will be available from the online aid notice. Merit aid generally requires a 3.0 GPA, SEED Scholarships require a 2.5 GPA, and need-based grants require a 2.0 GPA.
  3. Need-based grant and SEED renewals depend on filing the FAFSA each year by the deadline and on showing relatively the same level of financial need each year.

For further details, log in to your My Blue Hen Home account and click on My Finances Aid Notice. There you will find additional details, like GPA and enrollment requirements, associated with any aid you have been offered.

With the submission of a FAFSA, most students are eligible for Federal Direct Loans up to $5,500 for their first year. Families with higher need levels may be eligible for a portion to be offered as a subsidized loan, meaning interest will not be charged on these loans as long as they are enrolled at least half-time. Unsubsidized loans, by contrast, accrue interest beginning when loans are disbursed to the students’ accounts. Both the subsidized and unsubsidized portions allow for payment deferral as long as the students are enrolled half-time. To accept these loans, students must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling with Direct Lending on the federal Student Aid website. This site is also a great resource on federal loans.

Students who submit the Common or Coalition App by January 15th are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships as part of the admission process. Those who wish to be considered for need-based financial aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), using UD's school code 001431.

This is a question sometimes asked by families of prospective students. The Parent PLUS Loan application process can vary from school to school. Some schools will list the PLUS loan on the financial aid package. When that takes place, the school does not determine your eligibility and is not involved in the credit decision made by the federal Department of Education. A school listing the PLUS loan on the financial aid package is making an assumption that you will meet the requirements for that loan and assumes you will be willing to take that loan.

When the University of Delaware creates the financial aid package, we list only what the student qualifies for based on the information at that time. You may see the students' direct loan eligibility (if the family filed the FAFSA) but the PLUS loan will not appear on the financial aid package until the parent applies and is approved for that loan. We allow parents to begin requesting PLUS loans after April 15th for the upcoming academic year. If a PLUS loan is wanted, the parent must file a separate application at the federal Student Aid website and the credit check must be passed. The parent is under no obligation to pursue a PLUS loan.

The PLUS loan and private student loans can be used to finance the entire cost of a year's education (minus other financial aid). The PLUS loan can be used at the University of Delaware and is added to the students' packages once UD certifies the loan, starting that process in June, and receives notice of approval from the lender.

Sorry, no results found.

Still Want To Know More?  Submit a Question Here.

We understand this is an exciting time for you and that you likely have many questions. Please review the list of frequently asked questions or submit your question using the form below and a University advisor will respond to your inquiry.

Requestor name:required  
(Example: xxx@xxx.xxx)
Daytime phone:  
(Example: xxx-xxx-xxxx)
Student name:
(if different)
UD ID:required  
(Example: 70xxxxxxx)
Pertains to:required  
Question / Comment: