CAREER CENTERVIRTUAL SERVICES
The Career Center is committed to providing a seamless virtual experience for advancing professional goals. We offer comprehensive virtual services from career preparation activities to a variety of opportunities for talented Blue Hens and employers to connect.
Virtual Drop-In Hours take place during fall and spring semesters.
If you have any career-related questions (resumes, cover letters, LinkedIn, networking, job search strategy, etc.), attend virtual drop-in hours Monday through Friday, between 1 and 4 p.m. starting February 15, 2021.
- Schedule a 30-minute virtual or phone appointment with a career counselor via Handshake. No in-person appointments will be scheduled during the semester. If you are on campus or live at a nearby off-campus location, you are still required to schedule a virtual or phone appointment.*
- Utilize the advice and resources throughout the Career Center’s extensive website for students.
*If you are a Lerner College student, visit the Lerner Career Services Center website to connect with the Lerner team.
Watch the following step-by-step video to learn how to make an appointment!
PathwayU helps you think about what’s important to you and explore career paths related to your values, interest, personality and workplace preferences. Results and career matches are available immediately (no appointment needed). For more information and to get started, click here.
Receive feedback from the Career Center staff and alumni career mentors:
- Check out our resume and cover letter templates and samples.
- Upload your resume to Handshake for feedback from a peer advisor.
- Schedule an appointment with a career counselor through Handshake.
- Join the UD Career Acceleration Network (UD CAN) where you can ask questions and get advice from alumni.
Receive feedback through VMock, our A.I.-based resume guidance platform:
- If you do not already have a free account, simply enter your udel.edu email address and password.
- Upload a PDF version of your resume.
- VMock will give instant, personalized feedback on your format, bullet construction and skills using sophisticated algorithms and data science along with machine learning and artificial intelligence to assist you in optimizing your resume.
- In addition to personalized feedback, you will also receive a numerical score. A score of 60 or higher means you are ready to upload to Handshake.
We highly recommend the many resources listed below and believe you can use them to find jobs and internships in fields that interest you. Career counselors are ready to provide industry and career specific coaching to help you achieve your goals. Schedule a meeting through Handshake.
Remember that networking plays an integral role in both finding and landing a job or internship. You will also need a well-targeted resume and cover letter and time to practice your interview skills to help you land an opportunity.
- Handshake Blog: 500 Companies Hiring Students on Handshake Right Now
UD Career Center’s Handshake Platform & Recommended Job and Internship Sites:
Handshake: Thousands of new job and internship opportunities are posted each month by recruiters looking to hire students and alumni from UD.
Winter Term Internship Program: Apply for three to five week internships offered by UD alumni and employers over Winter Term
Parker Dewey: Find virtual micro-internships (short-term project based work) at a variety of organizations.
Covintern is a crowdsourced list of remote internship opportunities created by a student at Indiana University.
QuadJobs: Postings for flexible pre-professional work opportunities for college students.
Internships.com: An aggregator of internship experiences
CareerShift: Database of job and internship opportunities, along with alumni and organizational contact information for networking.
Industry Specific Job & Internship Posting Sites: View the sites posted in your career communities of interest.
WayUp: Resource of job and internship opportunities with a focus on entry-level positions.
Idealist: Internship opportunities with nonprofit organizations
Translation Jobs: Opportunities in translation, interpretation, localization, online teaching and more.
Remote Job Sites: Websites that list remote work opportunities.
- Use Big Interview to practice interview questions on your own.
- Schedule a career counseling appointment to practice answering interview questions with Career Center career counselors.
- Click here to view additional interview preparation resources.
- Schedule a career counseling appointment: Learn more about how to network and best practices to effectively connect with alumni and potential employers.
- Join the UD Career Acceleration Network (UD CAN): An online platform that connects UD students with alumni through the ability to send messages and set up virtual meetings for opportunities to explore career paths, prepare for the workplace and establish new connections in their network.
- Follow UD’s LinkedIn page: Access more than 120,000 alumni to create meaningful professional connections. Search by industry, job function, skill set, location and employer name, and send personalized connection requests. (Remember to be polite and briefly explain your reasons for wanting to connect!)
- Utilize Handshake’s Peer Messaging: Connect with students at UD and other universities. Search for students and alumni based on attributes like previous employers, student organizations or major.
- Virtual Job Shadow Program: Offered during Winter Session, this virtual job shadowing program allows students to learn more about various professions, receive career-related advice and reflect on the ways in which their education can prepare them for life after college by conducting a 1:1 virtual information interview with an employer or alum.
- The UD Career Center is ready to partner with you to deliver a wide variety of career preparation programs through virtual classes, RSO meetings and other group settings.
- Overview of the Career Center
- Resumes and cover letters
- LinkedIn and networking
- Interview preparation
- Managing an internship or job search in a virtual environment
- Managing the graduate school application process
- Industry and job overviews/preparation (presented by employers or UD alumni)
- Fill out the presentation request form to begin the process of organizing a presentation. A Career Center staff member will follow up with you within two business days.
Find your Career Center contact on our webpage for faculty and staff. We are eager to discuss other engagement opportunities and help you find ways to infuse relevant career content into your own initiatives.
The Student Career Advancement Fund provides assistance to students pursuing critical, yet unpaid, internship and professional experiences. The fund offers opportunities for students to gain exposure to career paths, develop professional connections and secure employment through individual and department-led programs such as job shadowing opportunities, career treks and professional conference participation.
Under the direct supervision of the UD Career Center, the philanthropic support of the Student Career Advancement Fund will help expand programs and resources to prepare students with financial need for professional success.
Students and alumni are seeking opportunities to gain professional experience through internships, jobs and gigs. The UD Career Center, Lerner Career Services Center and Graduate Professional Development are ready to work with you to recruit and hire talented Blue Hens for a variety of roles.
Blue Hens are seeking advice and guidance on navigating their career and securing opportunities during these uncertain times. Consider making yourself available through UD’s primary networking sites for those in need of support:
- UD Career Acceleration Network (UD CAN): UD CAN is an easy-to-use platform with a simple mission: connect Blue Hens from across the world with one another for career advice, networking and professional opportunities.
- UD Alumni Page on LinkedIn: UD actively encourages students and alumni to seek out fellow Blue Hens through Linkedin. Please be open to any outreach you receive from your fellow Blue Hens.
Connect with @UDCareers
#UDINTERN • #UDREAMITDOIT
Phone: (302) 831-2392
401 Academy Street • Newark, DE 19716