Dr. Johnson’s program of research has focused on improving neonatal outcomes and now centers on global health issues of our time. She teaches primarily undergraduate, accelerated, and returning nursing students in the areas of community, vulnerabilities, pediatric nursing, and women’s healthcare and has earned numerous awards for her teaching and mentoring students.
- Ph.D., The Catholic University of America, Washington D.C., Research Focus: Neonatal Response to Environment
- M.S.N., University of Delaware, Maternal-Child Nursing
- B.S.N., Madonna University, Livonia Michigan, Nursing
- Graber, J., Saylor, J., Johnson, A.N. (2019). Innovative global health care experiences for nursing students: micromesters and internships. Nursing Education Perspective, 40(5), 306-308.
- Johnson, A.N., Spivey, P. (2019). Practice questions for Neonatal Nursing Certification Review, 4th Edition. Nurse Builders: Philadelphia, PA.
- Johnson, A.N. (2016). The effects of skin-to-skin holding on caloric composition of expressed breast milk. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 7 (1), 1-6.
- Johnson, A.N. (2016). Stress beyond the NICU discharge: Implications to outcome. Pediatric and Neonatal Nursing, 3 (1), 15-19.
- Johnson, A.N. (2016). The effect of an exercise intervention on nursing test anxiety. Journal of Nursing and Care, 2 (1), 015.
- Johnson, A.N. (March, 2016). Creating global clinical internships in healthcare. Institute of International Education Networker Journal, 32-33.
- Johnson, A.N. (2014). Practice questions for Neonatal Nursing Certification Review, 2nd Edition. Nurse Builders: Philadelphia, PA.
- Johnson, A.N. (2012). Practice questions for Low Risk Neonatal Nursing Certification Review. Nurse Builders: Philadelphia, PA.
- Norton, M., Hagstrom, A. (in print). Finding a new normal: Maternal experiences transitioning to home from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit caring for technology-dependent infants. Advances in Neonatal Care.
- Presented 68 invited lectures in 9 countries including the keynote speaker for the 5th World Congress on Pediatric Critical Care sponsored by the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Nemours Health and Prevention Services. Designed, developed, and presented eight learning modules based on a statewide needs assessment for use throughout Delaware as training for all childcare providers, 2012. Role: Consultant.
- National Certification in Neonatal Nursing
- Fulbright Specialist Roster, U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and Institute of International Education’s Council for International Exchange of Scholars, 2015-present.
- Recipient of the University of Delaware School of Nursing “50 Stars of Nursing” Alumni award for Excellence in Education in 2016.
- Nominated for the University of Delaware Excellence in Academic Advising and Mentoring Award in 2011, 2012.
- Nominated for the University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- 2019 and 2017 Most Valuable Professor Award; the Blue Hens Women’s Volleyball team, University of Delaware;
- UD Excellence in teaching nominations — add 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020