University of Delaware

University Policies & Procedures

Consult the Student Guide to University Policies, and the University Catalog for further information.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

Brief Description of the Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 grants to students certain rights, privileges, and protections relative to individually identifiable student educational records which are maintained by the University. Specifically:

  1. Students' educational records (with the exception of directory information) will be released to third parties outside the University only with the written consent of the student. The University reserves the right to release education records to appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency or when the student's well-being is of concern.
  2. Students have the right to inspect their own individually identifiable educational records. The right may be exercised by completing a request form at the service desk of the University Visitors Center.
  3. Students have the right to challenge information contained in individually identifiable educational records. The procedure is described in the Annual Notification of Rights printed below.
  4. A copy of the policy describing the University's regulations implementing this act may be obtained at the University Visitors Center.

Directory Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act permits the release of directory-type information to third parties outside the institution without written consent of the student provided the student has been given the opportunity to withhold such disclosure.

The University releases, upon inquiry by third parties outside the University, directory information without written consent of the student. Directory information includes name, address, telephone number, college, class, major, dates of attendance, and degree, honors and awards conferred. Students may withhold directory information by contacting the Registrar's Office ( or by changing privacy settings through UDSIS.

Further questions? See the webpage at: or contact the Registrar's Office at

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

In general, to qualify as a Delaware (in-state) student for tuition and fee purposes, the student (or the parent/guardian upon whom the student is dependent) must have established a domicile in Delaware and must have maintained continuous residence therein for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes in the semester/session in which Delaware student status is sought. Individuals who work in Delaware but reside in another state are not considered in-state students for the purpose of tuition and fees. First time students should resolve any questions concerning residency prior to submitting a registration form.
The complete residency policy can be found at

Seat Claim Policy

Unless excused by the faculty member, students holding a confirmed assigned seat in a class will have relinquished their seat if they have not personally appeared in class to claim the seat by the:
  2nd class meeting for a class scheduled once a week,
  2nd class meeting for a class scheduled two times a week,
  3rd class meeting for a class scheduled three times a week,
  3rd class meeting for a class scheduled five times a week.
If the student does not claim the seat, according to guidelines and does not drop the course by the end of the late registration (Free Drop/Add) period, any applicable tuition will be charged and the Instructor has the option of assigning the student a grade of "Z" (the equivalent of a failing grade) at the end of the term.

Enrollment Restrictions

The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse for good and sufficient reasons enrollment of any applicant. Any applicant who is refused enrollment will, on written request, be provided with a written statement of the reasons for the refusal of enrollment.


The following information is for those students who have not been formally admitted to the University's undergraduate or graduate divisions. These students are identified by the classification CEND (Continuing Education Non-Degree). CEND students who are new to the University must complete a Biographic Information Form on-line, by mail or in person in order to register. For additional general information, see the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies website at: or call (302) 831-7600 or email
No particular educational background is required in order to register. CEND students may register for any courses - as long as they meet any course prerequisites and restrictions listed.
All CEND students, particularly those registering for the first time, should contact the ACCESS Center (302) 831-7600 for an appointment with a counselor for academic advisement.
You can also email for general questions.
Admission to a Degree Program
Students who wish to become full- or part-time matriculated students should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office (831-8123) or the Office of Graduate and Professional Education (831-2129).
Readmission to a Degree Program
Students seeking readmission to a degree program should meet with an ACCESS counselor (302-831-7600) to discuss readmission procedures, or visit
Transfer of Graduate Credit
A maximum of nine graduate credits taken as a CEND student may be accepted for transfer to a graduate degree program. Contact the Office of Graduate and Professional Education (302-831-2129) for details.

University of Delaware Home Page
Winter Session home page
Please direct questions to
URL of this document:
Last modified: Friday, 02-Aug-2013 10:03:01 EDT