University of Delaware


Overview of Winter Session

Winter Session is a five-week term between the fall and spring semesters. Students can earn up to seven credits, and choose from approximately 500 undergraduate and 50 graduate courses in the day or evening. This year, for the first time, there are also several dozen classes that meet on a 4-week schedule: starting January 12 and allowing students to extend their winter holiday before starting those classes. The concentrated Winter format allows students to earn credits while focusing on a single subject or exploring new interests. Winter Session is a time to choose from a variety of new and experimental courses. Students may expand their multicultural experiences through a Study Abroad program. There are also UD Online classes that can be taken anywhere a student may be.

Anyone may participate in Winter Session. Registration in the Winter Session neither requires nor implies admission to a degree program at the University of Delaware. Non-matriculated students are encouraged to contact the Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center, 850 Library Ave (across from College Square Shopping Center) in Newark, 831-8843 for academic advisement,

This website, designed to assist students in planning their Winter Session program, contains certain information that relates only to the Winter Session. Additional information about the University of Delaware can be found in the current editions of the University Catalog and the Student Guide to University Policies.


There is no Winter Session Housing fee for students who occupied traditional residence halls and suites during the fall semester or will occupy a room during the spring semester. The only students who will be charged any Winter Housing fee are those who live in the residence halls during Winter Session ONLY and those who live in Graduate or Family Housing (Conover, or Graduate House). Students living on-campus (other than on-campus apartments) must register for at least one Winter Session Course, academically-approved project, or be approved to participate in a special University activity in order to occupy the assigned space during Winter Session. All students planning to live on-campus for Winter Session must complete the Winter Session Housing Request form found on the MyHousing portal.

Residents of halls or suites other than apartments must purchase one of the full-size meal plans (see Dining Plans).

Students who have lived in residence halls or suites during the fall semester may move to their spring semester assignment at the start of Winter Session. Assignments for new students for Winter Session are permitted only under exceptional circumstances approved by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. All requests for exceptions must be submitted to Residence Life and Housing ( with any supporting documents. Students who are granted an exception should be aware that the Spring semester room assignment may be different from the Winter Session assignment.

All students, including those who have not preregistered, may check in directly to their assigned residence. Students who are unable to register for a class by the end of the Drop/Add period must check out of the residence hall by January 9 for 5-week classes and January 15 for 4-week classes.

For complete details and instructions about Winter Session housing please go to

Dining Plans

UD Dining will offer students participating in 2015 Winter Sessions the ability to dine at multiple residential and retail venues across campus. This winter session, meal plans will be inclusive of both Meals and Points with any remaining Points carrying over to the Spring semester. All unused Points are forfeited at the end of the spring semester and have no refundable value.

Each plan contains a designated number of all-you-care-to-eat Meals and/or Points. Points are units of purchasing power that give you the convenience to buy food, snacks, or groceries from any dining location, without cash. Students living in traditional residence halls or suites are required to purchase a full-size plan. If you do not make a choice, the 10 Meals per week plus $90 in Points plan will be automatically billed to you.

Students living in the Christiana Towers Apartments, Graduate Student and Family Housing or off-campus may choose any of the plans offered; but that choice is optional.

Traditional residence halls & suites Resident Plans (MANDATORY)
Points per
19 Weekly19 per week22 / 18 2$785$626
15 Weekly15 per week52 / 42 2$785$626
10 Weekly10 per week90 / 72 2$776$619
80 / 65 Block80 / 65
per session
42 / 30 2$785$626
55 / 45 Block55 / 45
per session
80 / 60 2$776$619
40 / 32 Block40 / 32
per session
110 / 88 2$776$619

Christiana Towers, Graduate, Family Housing and Off-Campus Resident Plans (OPTIONAL)
MealsPoints per
25 Anytime25 per session20 $322
75 Point none75 $75
150 Pointnone150 $150
300 Pointnone300 $300

Additional Points for any plan may be purchased through the Dining Choose or Change Application at, a cash deposit at one of four Value Transfer Stations on campus (located in the Trabant University Center, Perkins Student Center, Christiana Commons, and Morris Library Lower Level); or a deposit at Cashiers or the outside drop slot at the Student Services Building (minimum $25 deposit). You may call (302) 831-4033 or email for details.

Meals will be redeemable at Pencader and Kent Residential Dining Halls which will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the week, and for brunch and dinner on the weekends. Retail dining locations will have adjusted Winter Session schedules.


Textbooks, both new and used, are not only available at the following bookstores, but are also now available for purchase via the web at

Last day for textbook refunds (Newark): January 9 (with receipt).

Newark - available at the University Bookstore on Main Street. Regular Winter Session hours are:

     Monday - Saturday      10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
                      Sunday        Noon - 6:00 p.m.
 Extended hours: 
     Jan. 5-6  (Mon.-Tues.)       9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.


Students parking on campus in Newark or at the Wilmington Campus must purchase University parking permits. The University reserves the right to remove and impound, at the owner's expense, any vehicle parked on campus without a current permit or otherwise in violation of the University parking regulations. The Campus Map and parking regulations are on the Web. Online registration begins January 1. Visit the web at: Parking Services is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The cost of permits varies according to the parking area that is selected. Note that it is more cost effective to register on an annual basis than for individual months.
Red LotsGold LotsGray Lots
Monthly$22$48 $51
Beginning January 1:
Academic Yr$80$179 $190
Annual$113$253 $368
Please bring personal identification with you to purchase the permit in person.

Transportation Services (Buses/Charter Services)

University Shuttle buses operate on a regular schedule last week of August through May on the Newark campus and selected surrounding areas. During the fall and spring semester, day service runs 4:19 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.; evening service runs from 6:10 p.m. through 10:10 p.m. and late night service runs 10:10 p.m. to 2:25 a.m. on Sunday through Wednesday, until 3:45 a.m. on Thursdays, and 4:05 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. On Saturday, day service consists of two routes operating from 12:10 p.m. until 6:10 pm. The Winter schedule (similar to the fall and spring schedule) will be posted in December at

Additionally, Transportation Services operates the free Unicity buses for the City of Newark. Check out routes and schedules at service is available for large group outings.

The University shuttle system has real-time shuttle bus tracking system that can be accessed with a computer or hand-held device at

ID cards (i-card)

Students are required to carry the i-card. The ID Card Office is located in the Student Services Building, Lovett Avenue, Newark (302-831-2759). Our hours are Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For your protection, it is necessary to present a picture ID for positive identification before obtaining/replacing an i-card. A fee is charged for replacement cards. Examples of privileges that MAY be accessed with the card are:FLEX account, checking/debit account through PNC Bank, sporting events, the library, and dining facilities. Access to privileges is determined by registration status and account balances. Lost and stolen cards should be reported immediately by calling (302) 831-2273. This service is available 24 hours a day.

Math Placement Exam

The Department of Mathematical Sciences requires all students to take a series of math placement assessments to accurately place you in a math course. Students are strongly urged to go to for a complete description of the placement process. This process could involve multiple testing and review of math procedures so plan accordingly. Each assessment will test algebra, precalculus and trigonometry skills and is required for enrollment in MATH 010, 113, 114, 115, 117, 221 or 241. You must receive the appropriate math score on the assessment(s) in order to enroll in your desired math course.

You should begin this placement process at least a week (preferably longer) prior to your course registration meeting or deadlines. Most questions about the exam procedure and your math placement goal (determined by your major) can be found at the above URL. Questions concerning how to access the exam should be directed to the Admissions Office if you are seeking a degree. If you are a Continuing Education student, you may call 302-831-8843 for information on accessing the placement program.

Please take this placement process seriously! Read the web sites carefully and follow the directions. The results of the placement assessment(s) will have serious constraints on enrollment in math courses and therefore have implications on the completion of your degree.

Foreign Language Placement

Students must register for the course into which they have been placed according to their high school foreign language background. If you have studied the same foreign language in high school for:
   Two years or less than 2-Years.....105
   Three years........................106
   Four or more years.................107
Students who have had at least four years of a foreign language may wish to take the exemption examination. Students who have questions about their placement, or who are seeking an exemption from the foreign language requirement, should contact Crista Johnson, the FLL Placement Advisor at 320 Jastak-Burgess Hall, 831-4667.

Veterans Information

All of the University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate programs are approved by the Delaware State Approving Agency for training of veterans. In order to utilize Veterans Education Benefits, a student must be an admitted University of Delaware student.

If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Delaware, please visit our website: or contact the undergraduate admissions office at 302-831-8123

If you are already a UD student and feel that you may be eligible to receive Veteran's Education Benefits, please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-800-GIBILL-1. The University's Registrar's Office cannot apply for benefits on behalf of a student.

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs determines the amount of benefits a student can receive, therefore, we cannot estimate benefit amounts. Please contact Veterans Affairs at or call 1-888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL) if you are in need of VA advisement or for additional information. The submission of electronic applications using their VONAPP process is strongly encouraged.

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility letter, please submit a copy of the letter, and the completed UD Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form to UD's Veterans Services Office. Once all of the required documents are received, UD's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit a 22-1999 enrollment certification to the VA to initiate payments.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please refer to or contact:

Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Veterans Services
University Visitors Center
210 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19716
PH: 302-831-1554
FAX: 302-831-3005

Services for Students with Disabilities

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the University of Delaware is committed to providing equal access for students, employees and visitors with a disability. The Office of Disabilities Support Services (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations and ensures equal access to University programs and services. The DSS office works with individuals who have physical, medical, psychological disabilities, as well as, learning disabilities and ADHD.

It is the individual's responsibility to inform the DSS office of the disability and need for accommodation. Eligibility for reasonable accommodations is determined on a case-by-case basis. Anyone requesting an accommodation from the University based on a disability should contact the DSS office directly.
Please contact a DSS professional at:
      (302) 831-4643 (Voice)
      (302) 831-4563 (TDD)
      (302) 831-3261 (FAX) or visit the website at:
The Office is located at 240 Academy Street, Alison Hall, Suite 130, Newark, DE 19716.

Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS)

OISS is the designated office at the University of Delaware that provides immigration advising and support services to more than 4,000 international students, scholars and family members from over 95 different countries. Throughout the year, the office also offers a series of workshops, sessions and programming events for the international community a UD. For more information, please visit the OISS website, which provides comprehensive information and resources on how to navigate issues that are most common to international students and scholars in the United States: The office is located at the Wright House at 44 Kent Way and can be reached by email at or by phone at (302) 831-2115.

Office of Academic Enrichment

The Office of Academic Enrichment offers activities that provide undergraduate students with academic assistance through individual and group tutoring, group study sessions, academic success and study skills workshops, and referral assistance throughout the year. These programs and activities are designed to help students maximize their academic performance as they pursue their degree programs. The Office of Academic Enrichment is located at 148-150 South College Ave., and can be contacted at (302) 831-4555.

Student Health Service (SHS)

The SHS is located in Laurel Hall on the main campus South Green area, at the corner of South College Avenue and East Park Place. All full time students enrolled in Winter Session are required to pay a $66 Winter Session Health Fee, which allows use of all facilities and services of the Student Health Service during the Winter Session period. The Winter Session Health Fee is also used to help support the mental health services offered though the Center for Counseling and Student Development. Full time graduate and undergraduate students not enrolled in Winter Session, and part time graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program and enrolled in Winter Session can use the Student Health Service during the Winter Session period on a fee for service basis or by paying the $66 Winter Session Health Fee.

Physicians and nurse practitioners are available to see patients from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Registered nurses are available to see patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Other services include 24 hour inpatient care and nursing service, allergy injections and other immunization services (some involving additional charges over the required fee), gynecological services, minor surgery, laboratory testing (some involving additional charges), EKG testing, on site X Ray services (for which the student and/or his/her insurance company are billed), and dispensary services (involving additional charges).

The University sponsors a Health Insurance Plan for full and part time students enrolled in a degree program. Full-time students, international students, and contracted graduate students are required to have health insurance. For information about this plan please visit For additional information concerning Student Health Services, please call 302-831-2226.


The services of the Center for Counseling and Student Development include individual counseling, group counseling, career development programs, student development programming, and consultations with University groups and individuals. These services are available to all matriculated students who pay the Student Health Fee. The Center is staffed by counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists and graduate-level trainees who are trained to assist college students in achieving their full academic potential, make realistic career and educational plans, and work toward resolution of personal concerns. At the Center, students may discuss freely, in a confidential and professional setting, any concerns they may be experiencing. The Center also serves as a referral agency by helping students who need specialized assistance to locate appropriate campus and off-campus resources. To make an appointment, call (302) 831-2141 or come to Room 261 Perkins Student Center.

University Writing Center

The Writing Center offers individualized consultations in writing to University students. Writers at any level and from any discipline may attend the Center at no charge. Center consultants are prepared to discuss any aspect of writing. They can help writers decide on topics, how to organize information, revise a draft, document sources or self-edit. In addition, the Center offers advice on prewriting strategies, essay exams, documentation styles, and thesis or dissertation writing.
The Writing Center is located in 016 Memorial Hall. All appointments are made online by going to the center's Web site at Students may also stop by the center to make appointments or call 831-1168 for online scheduling assistance.

Career Services Center

The Career Services Center provides programs and services designed to assist students in gaining career experience and in developing the skills and knowledge needed to obtain full-time employment and internships. Career Services provides career counseling, resume assistance, workshops, interviews, career fairs, and a host of resources for finding part-time jobs, volunteer and various other types of opportunities.

Career workshops are offered regularly to develop resume writing skills, interviewing techniques and job search strategies. Special resource material and self-instructional media provide further assistance in these areas. Appointments with Career Consultants are available year-round. Visit the Career Services website, to log into Blue Hen Careers and make an appointment.

As the Campus Interview Program is not active during Winter Session, students are encouraged to research organizations and prepare for upcoming on-campus and off-campus interviews. Winter Session is also the time to explore information for summer jobs or internships with an early application deadline and see which employers are coming to the career fairs.

All programs and services are available through Career Services at 401 Academy Street. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. For more information, visit the Career Services Center website:

Winter Session Internship Opportunities

Winter Session is an excellent time for students to participate in experiential programs. Academic departments and other University offices provide a wide range of opportunities for students to test career interests, explore occupational areas and gain practical experience. Different types of experiences are available, including volunteer work and internships. Check out resources online. Experience may be for credit or non-credit.

Students who wish to receive credit for an internship can register for one of several courses, including UNIV-364 - Experiential Internship, in which internships in diverse professional fields are combined with a seminar to explore career alternatives, develop experiential learning skills and evaluate the field experience. Contact Scott Rappaport (831-1231) at 401 Academy Street for further information.


The University of Delaware Library [] includes a rich array of electronic and print resources. The Library is comprised of the Hugh M. Morris Library, where the main collection is housed; branch libraries on the Newark campus-the Chemistry Library and the Physics Library; a third branch-the Marine Studies Library on the Hugh R. Sharp campus in Lewes, Delaware, plus the Library Annex in Newark.

The collections of the University of Delaware Library parallel the University's academic interests and support all disciplines. Books, electronic databases, electronic journals, periodicals, microforms, government publications, maps, manuscripts, media in video and DVD format and Internet access provide a major academic resource. Library staff members provide a wide range of services, including assistance with electronic library resources, reference assistance, interlibrary loan, instructional programs and assistance to users with disabilities. The Library's AskRef Live! and AskRef Instant Messaging (IM) services provides online live reference service during many hours of the week.

Over 2,800,000 volumes of books and bound journals, more than 42,000 electronic and print journals including newspapers to which the University of Delaware Library provides access, more than 370 databases as well as more than 3,400,000 items in microforms are included in the Library collections. The Library's resources are broadly based and comprehensive, with emphasis on the social sciences, humanities, science and engineering. Special Collections of rare books and manuscripts include the Delaware Collection; the Unidel History of Chemistry Collection; manuscripts such as the papers of Paul Bowles, Emily Coleman, Ezra Pound, Tennessee Williams, and William Butler Yeats and archives including those of American Poetry and the Bird and Bull Press. Library Digital Projects including the University of Delaware Library Postcard Collection with more than 2,000 images of Delaware, Historic Maps of Delaware and the Mid-Atlantic Region, and the American Civil War Digital Collection are accessible online at [].

The University of Delaware Library is a depository for publications of the U.S. Government and for all patents issued by the U.S. Office of Patents and Trademarks.

The Morris Library, with seating for approximately 2,500 persons, provides more than 275 public access Internet workstations and increased wireless Internet access in the Morris Library for laptop users. The Student Multimedia Design Center, located on the Lower Level, provides more than 70 workstations, 6 studios and 2 classrooms for creation of multimedia programs. The Reading Room on the First Floor was designed for quiet study. The Morris Library also provides group study rooms, a periodical reading room, a Special Collections [] area with an exhibition gallery and a reading room with a controlled environmental system for rare materials, Instructional Media carrels and a Media Viewing Room and an Assistive Technology Center with special equipment and computer access. The student-oriented, enhanced Information Room was renovated during the summer 2014.

The website of the University of Delaware Library []. offers access to the vast electronic resources including the new online, cloud-based DELCAT Discovery service []. DELCAT Discovery provides information about and access to the physical and electronic holdings of the University of Delaware Library. It includes information about the Library collection and also provides links to electronic journals, electronic books and other resources. A Library user may limit searches to only those items physically held by the Library or a search can be done of the entire WorldCat database. Items held by the University of Delaware Library appear at or near the topic of the results display. Items not held by the Library can be requested by University of Delaware faculty, students and staff via the interlibrary loan link that automatically prompts an interlibrary loan request form.

The University of Delaware Library provides online electronic access to more than 370 databases including a large number of full-text databases with complete articles as well as many reference databases in all disciplines. The Library provides access to more than 42,000 electronic and print journals including newspapers. Electronic resources are accessible to University of Delaware students, faculty and staff from residence halls, offices, and buildings through the University and to University users from off-campus using a University of Delaware computing account. The Library web page serves as a gateway research tool and provides access to electronic resources on the web including those licensed for University of Delaware faculty, staff and students. To assist users in navigating the web, the Library created more than 230 Research Guides in academic disciplines. Each Research Guide points to a selection of some of the best web sites in each subject area.

The University of Delaware Library has an Institutional Repository recently renamed to become UDSpace [] which uses open source DSpace software to capture, store, index, preserve and redistribute the intellectual output of the University of Delaware original research of faculty and staff in digital form including technical reports, working papers, conference papers, images and more.

Memberships of the University of Delaware Library include the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), the Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance (CIRLA), the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), the HathiTrust, LYRASIS, Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO), the National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA), the New England Research Libraries Consortium (NERL) and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) including the OCLC Research Library Partnership. The University of Delaware Library is also a member the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) that promotes health information, education and/or access in the Mid-Atlantic Region which includes Delaware, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. The Library is also a member of RAPID to enhance interlibrary loan service.

University of Delaware Library users may call 302-831-2965 for further information. Library users may call 302-831-BOOK (2665), or check the Library web [] for Library hours.


Facilities available in Carpenter Sports Building, located off of North College Avenue, include a comprehensive fitness center, two gymnasiums, squash and racquetball courts, an indoor pool, and a rockclimbing wall. For additional information, call 831-8600.
Regular hours are:
	Monday - Thursday	6:45 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
	Friday			6:45 a.m. -  9:00 p.m. 
	Saturday 	       10:00 a.m. -  8:00 p.m.
	Sunday		             Noon - 10:00 p.m. 
The indoor pool may be used: 
	Monday - Thursday	 11:15 - 1:15 p.m. 
				 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. 
	Friday			11:15 - 1:15 p.m. 
				 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. 
	Saturday 		12:00 - 4:00  p.m.
	Sunday			 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
				 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
There are satellite Fitness Centers at Harrington and Independence complexes. Winter Session hours vary. Call 831-1580 or see for specific hours at these sites. Winter programs include a full selection of fitness classes and intramural sports. Call 831-8600, see or visit Carpenter Sports Building to learn more about these programs. The Ice Arenas - for public skating and skate rental information call 831-2868.

The University Student Centers

Information about either the Trabant University Center or the Perkins Student Center is available by calling the Office of the Director at 831-1036 or at

John Perkins Student Center
The Perkins Student Center is located on Academy Street in the East Campus area and houses the Student Activities Office with over 300 registered student organizations, Student Media featuring WVUD and THE REVIEW, the Hen Zone recreational area, New Student Orientation Office, Counseling and Student Development Office, Parking Services, and the Scrounge Food Court. Many student organizations are housed in the new student organization office community from which they develop and sponsor many diversity programs and activities. A beautiful new Student Lounge, Concourse and Information Desk with miscellaneous snack and personal items for sale, quiet study areas, a variety of meeting spaces and the Bacchus venue provide student engagement opportunities. Music, theater, novelties, vendors and coffee houses are regularly scheduled in the Perkins Student Center.

E. Arthur Trabant University Center
The Trabant University Center is located on West Main Street and offers a diverse student program that includes concerts, speakers, movies, bus trips, the Blue Hen Leadership Program, and Fraternity and Sorority Life. The colorful new Trabant Lounge is a convenient gathering place to meet friends, study, or relax as is Daugherty Hall, a large, beautiful quiet study area. Trabant also offers an Information Desk with miscellaneous snack and personal items for sale, a large Food Court, PNC banking services, UD Box Office, and Vita Nova, the Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Management student-operated restaurant. Students enjoy the movie-theater, the large multi-purpose rooms and the variety of meeting and program spaces for their organizational activities and special interests.

 Winter Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy < >
URL of this document:
Last modified: Wednesday, 29-Oct-2014 13:46:37 EDT