FINANCIAL INFORMATION: Winter Session - 2014

The Free Drop/Add period ends Thursday January 9. Withdrawal from Winter classes after that date leaves tuition committed and non-refundable. The last date to withdraw or change grade status is Tuesday January 24.

Tuition and Fee Payment

        The University of Delaware bills students for tuition, fees, and other charges electronically through our My Finances online billing site, available at Billing notification is sent via email to the student's UDEL-email and any preferred billing email listed on UDSIS, so new students must establish a pin and email account at the time of registration to receive these notifications. Students also have the option of granting My Finances access to an authorized party through the Parent/Guardian Services site. Students and authorized users can then access the ebill and current account activity from the My Finances site throughout the term. (See for more information.)
        Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans and Federal Direct PLUS (Parent) Loans or private educational loans are the primary source of financial aid available for Winter Session. Students must have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for the 2013-2014 year in order to apply for the Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized or Unsubsidized Student Loans) and for Federal PLUS Loans. Students should also be pre-registered for Winter Session classes when they request a Direct Loan, and Direct Loans for Winter Sessions are processed after November 1.
        Please note that financial aid awards are based upon your enrollment status and Federal Direct Loans require that you maintain enrollment of at least 6 credit hours during the Winter Session. If your enrollment status or credit hour load changes, then your aid package will be revised. Furthermore, if you are enrolled for less than three credits, you are not eligible for most types of aid. Listener (L) credits do NOT count toward enrollment status for financial aid purposes.
        Bills are due prior to the start of classes in order to avoid late payment fees and to remain registered in courses. If financial aid (scholarships, loans, Grad Contracts, fee waivers or other credits) is sufficient to cover the balance due, we still require that you notify us of this aid via My Finances to maintain your registration. To do this, log in to My Finances. From the 'Make a payment' option, please indicate 'Yes' at the 'Report additional credits' page and indicate both the type and amount of award that is being used to cover the balance if not already reflected on yur account. This will update a Reported Adjustment credit from the Account Summary. From here you can either make the lesser required payment or, if no payment is due, submit the information without making a payment.
        For your convenience, My Finances provides an up-to-date balance and, therefore, payment can be made at any time after registration. When you access your ebill through My Finances, you have the option of paying online via your checking account; if you choose this option you should have your checking account and routing number available. There is also a credit card payment option, though this option comes with a 2.75% service fee for these transactions. If you have questions about the billing, financial aid, and/or payment process, refer to for frequently asked questions and/or to submit your question,or call a Student Financial Services advisor at (302) 831-2126.

Please note that:

Payment Locations
        The Cashiers Office in the Student Services Building is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. To view and pay your bill online via your checking account go to:

Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

In general, to qualify as a Delaware (in-state) student for tuition and fee purposes, the student (or the parent/guardian upon whom the student is dependent) must have established a domicile in Delaware and must have maintained continuous residence therein for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes in the semester/session in which Delaware student status is sought. Individuals who work in Delaware but reside in another state are not considered in-state students for the purpose of tuition and fees. First time students should resolve any questions concerning residency prior to submitting a registration form.
The complete residency policy can be found at

Undergraduate Tuition

DE ResidentNon-Resident
5 Maximum
Maximum Tuition

Graduate Tuition
$ 1,578 per credit
Graduate tuition is assessed for every credit registered and no maximum applies to graduate tuition University-wide, but at the discretion of each College, certain programs and credit loads may be eligible for scholarships. Also see the Graduate Tuition Policy on the Graduate Office website.

Other Fees

Housing: There is no Winter Session housing fee for registered students who occupied traditional residence halls and suites during the fall or spring semesters. (Conover and Graduate House residents pay the normal monthly rate.)

Dining Plan ($754): The All-Point "Winter Meal Plan" is mandatory for all residents of Traditional residence halls and suites and can be used at all available retail locations. Regular Dining Halls will not be open during Winter Session.

Student Health Fee ($66) -- Charged to all full-time students enrolled in Winter Session.

Registration Fee ($30) - Charged to all students during summer and winter sessions and to part-time students during the fall/spring terms.

Student Comprehensive Fee ($50) - A mandatory fee charged to all undergraduate and Continuing Education students during the Winter and Summer sessions. This fee supports the student fitness center, recreational programs, student activities, concerts, performing arts and the activities of registered student organizations.

Late Payment Fee ($55) - Charged for outstanding balances received after billing and fee payment deadlines.

Change of Registration Fee ($25) - After the end of the Free Drop/Add period (January 9) a one-time fee of $25 will be assessed for registration changes. These include: changing a course section, dropping and/or adding a course, or changing grade status among auditor, credit or pass/fail. Tuition is charged and is not refundable for course withdrawals after January 9.

Students who take UD-Online Distance Learning classes outside of Delaware can, under certain conditions, qualify for a lower than normal "Nonresident Site Tuition" rate.

Students in the Associate in Arts Program, when taking classes at one of the AA Academic Centers, will be charged tuition for those classes at the prevailing Associate in Arts Program rates. When taking classes on the Newark campus, AA students will be charged the normal Undergraduate rates shown in the table above.

FLEX Account

With your FLEX Account you can enjoy cashless purchasing power across campus: at all dining locations, the University Bookstore, even residence hall laundry machines. For more information about FLEX, how to sign up and where to use it, visit our web site at:
or call us at 831-4033.


Open a checking account from PNC Bank, and expand the purchasing capabilities of your i-card both on and off campus. Best of all, the University's i-card becomes your PNC Bank ATM card. To open an account, visit the on-campus PNC Bank office in the Trabant University Center. For more information about any of our banking services, visit our web site at:
or call us at (302) 831-4400 or 24 hours a day at 1-877-PNC-1000


Students who advance register for the Winter Session will be assessed charges via our My Finances online billing site. Advance registered students who later decide not to attend must drop their courses
online as early as possible. This adjusts the student's Winter Session charges, and frees space in courses for other students. Students in University housing must also notify the Office of Residence Life and Housing, (302) 831-HOME (4663), and Dining Services, (302) 831-6761. Canceling registration will not automatically cancel housing and dining.


If a course is canceled by the University or if a student withdraws before the end of the late registration period, a full rebate of tuition is given. There is no rebate of tuition for course withdrawals after late registration ends on January 9, nor is there a rebate for students who neglect to officially withdraw from the University.

Financial Aid Recipient Withdrawals:

Financial aid eligibility is based on the cost of education (tuition, mandatory fees, housing, meal plan, books, etc.) incurred for the entire Winter Session and is contingent upon completion of that session. If you are a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid funds** and your enrollment terminates through official withdrawal, your financial aid award must be reviewed for possible adjustment. Federal regulations mandate that any unearned aid be returned to the federal aid programs when you withdraw. The percentage of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal divided by the total number of days in the session. Title IV recipients are governed by federal policy if they withdraw prior to completing 60% of the session. ** Examples: Direct/Stafford Student Loans, Perkins Loan, Nursing Student Loan, Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), PELL Grant, Direct/Parent Loan.
Students are required to adhere to the University's official withdrawal policy when terminating their enrollment prior to the end of a given term. Failure to officially withdraw will result in the cancellation of any Federal financial aid program funds previously awarded for that term. Federal regulations require that funds for ineligible recipients be returned to the financial aid program accounts. If this happens, students will be responsible for any remaining Winter Session charges. Handouts for Title IV recipient withdrawals, explaining the policies, procedures, and examples of Title IV refunds are available upon request through Student Financial Services.


Cancellations must be submitted in writing by mail or email to Dining Services (153 Perkins Student Center) or in person at the Student Services Building by January 9.

When your Dining Services Agreement is officially cancelled, your student account will be credited based on a proration of unused dining plan meals for the remaining days in the term less five days plus the value of any unused points. Any credit balance in your student account may be transferred to a FLEX account. Applicable refunds for Winter will be calculated in proportion to the semester refund schedule.

Full details regarding cancellations and changes are published in The Student Guide to University Policies and at


 Winter Session home page
Please direct questions to Allan Fanjoy < >
URL of this document:
Last modified: Tuesday, 22-Oct-2013 15:19:56 EDT