Frequently Asked Questions:
Student Voice Mail
- Who Has Access To What Type of Mail Box?
- Telephone Answering
Students living in on-campus Residence Halls also have access to Telephone Answering mailboxes which are
associated with their room phones.
- Private mailboxes
All students at the University of Delaware get Private voice mailboxes.
- Chain mailboxes
All student Residence Hall phones are set up as chain mailboxes.
- What is my private voice mailbox number?
- Private Voice mailbox numbers are printed in the University phone direcory. They are also listed on the
web. From the University Home Page click on the "People" button beneath the main graphic. Then click on the "Search UD Student
Voice Mail Directory" link. Type your name (or someone else's) in the empty window. The system will search for that name and
list the 7-digit private voice mailbox number for that person.
- What is my telephone answering voice mailbox number?
- Your telephone answering voice mailbox number is your 7-digit phone number.
- What is my inital passcode for a private voice mailbox?
- The "temporary Personal Identification" is the month and day of your birthdate (ex. mmdd).
- I forgot my voice mail PIN, how do I get it reset?
- How do I listen to messages when I am off campus?
- Call 831-4000 and follow the prompts. You will press * then enter your 7-digit mailbox number, then enter
your v-mail PIN. Press 1 to listen to your messages.
- Can I get a deleted message back?
- You can recover messages that you erased by mistake, because messages are not actually erased until you
hang up the receiver.
To recover a message, press * to return to the Main Menu. Then press 1 to listen to your messages
again. When you hear the message you accidentally erased, press 2 to save it.
If you delete a message and then hang up, you
will not be able to retrieve it.
- How do I send a message to more than one person?
- To send a message to more than one person, you need to send the message from within the voice mail system.
Call 4000, access your voicemail box and then press 2 (to send a message). The system will prompt you to enter the 7 digits of
the mailbox of the person(s) to which you wish to send your message. You can also set up a group list (see following question)
and enter a group list number instead of an individual's mailbox number. This is useful if you plan to repeatedly communicate
with the same group of people via voice mail.
- How do I set up group lists?
- To get to the group list menu from the Main Menu, press 9, 9, 1. Follow the prompts for Creating a Group
by pressing 4. The group list menu has options for Review Groups (press1), Change a Group (press 2), Delete a Group (press 4)
or Create a Group (press 4).
- If more than one person shares a phone, how can each maintain the privacy of individual vmail?
- If you are a student living in a Residence Hall, your Telephone Answering voice mail is set up with the
chainmail feature. With this feature, your Telephone answering vmail is
linked to your Private voicemailbox. When callers call your telephone extension they can press your private voicemailbox
number during the greeting to get transferred over to your Private voicemail.
- How do I turn on/off the extended absence greeting?
- After recording your greeting or reviewing your greeting, listen to all of the options the voice mail
operator offers: to keep this recording, press 1 - to change it, press 2 - if you want to mark it for extended absence, press
3. Choose option 3 to mark for extended absence. This option acts like a toggle-switch and you'll need to listen again for
option 3 after recording or reviewing your greeting to turn it off. Please Note: The purpose of using the "extended
absence" function for your greeting is to force callers to listen to your entire greeting. This way callers will hear that you
will be out of the office for an extended period of time. Thus, when the extended absence greeting is turned on, callers can
not use any keypad functions (e.g. fast forwarding through your message by pressing # or 9 or pressing a 0 to reach a
- Can I get a light indicator for voice mail messages for my straight telephone set?
- This option is not available to students at this time.