Program Tiers: [Tier 1] | [Advanced Tier 1] | [Tier 2] | [Project Resources]
Students who complete Tier 1, the Emerging Leader level of the Blue Hen Leadership Program, by
February 8, 2013, are eligible to register for Advanced Tier 1.
The goals of Advanced Tier 1:
- Participants will demonstrate an understanding of The Leadership Challenge model by
applying one or more of the 5 practices of exemplary leadership and at least one of
the 6 leadership competencies to a current event, topic presented on Ted Talks or an
element of pop culture through preparation and facilitation of a roundtable discussion.
- Participants will demonstrate an understanding of the elements of successful group
- Participants will remain engaged in the Blue Hen Leadership Program throughout the
academic year through their participation in Advanced Tier 1.
How it works:
- Register for Advanced Tier 1 through the BHLP website at www.udel.edu/bhlp by February 8, 2013.
- Earn an additional 8 BHLP credits by attending workshops and other programs. The workshop
entitled Successful Group Facilitation is required as one of the 8.
- Roundtable discussion:
- By March 1, 2013- Create and have approved by Susan Luchey or Matthew Creasy the topic
for a 60 minute roundtable leadership discussion that you will facilitate. The topic must be
based on a current event, on a Ted Talk (www.tedtalks.com) or an element of pop culture
(movie, television show, book, video game). You are to prepare talking points based on
your subject matter, including how it illustrates at least one of the 5 practices of exemplary
leadership (Model the Way, Inspire a Shared Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable Others
to Act, Encourage the Heart). The topic must also be grouped under one or more of the 6
competency areas (personal leadership, organizational leadership, communication, global
understanding, community stewardship, management skills).
You should prepare your roundtable based on the following outline:
- Introduction to topic
- Link of leadership model
- Link to competency
- Discussion points or questions
- Choose the date, time and place to hold your roundtable. You may use your residence hall,
another residence hall, library, or quiet area in a student center. To coordinate holding
your roundtable in a residence hall lounge, contact Leann Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To hold your roundtable in a student center, contact Event Services. Once your date, time
and space are confirmed, contact Susan Luchey so that your roundtable can be added to
the BHLP website. All roundtable discussions must be completed by Monday, April 22.
- Each roundtable will be attended by a BHLP Tier 2 participant or staff member who will
distribute and collect evaluations of the discussion.
- Tier 1 and Advanced Tier 1 students may earn BHLP credits by attending your roundtable. In
addition, you may invite students from your residence halls, etc.
- You must complete a self evaluation or reflection on experience.
- You must still complete your Tier 1 poster presentation.
- Tier 1 participants are eligible for both Tier 1 and Advanced Tier 1 scholarships, only one scholarship
may be awarded per semester.
Is this the program for you? Register now
by clicking "Register for BHLP" at the top of this site!