Use of Campus Buildings and Grounds by Students and On-Campus Groups

Students must observe rules relating to the use of campus buildings and other University owned, operated or approved facilities and services.

All academic buildings close at approximately 10:00 p.m. on weekdays and at noon on Saturday. Students who have legitimate business in the buildings after closing hours must obtain written permission from the chairperson of the department in which they are to work. Animals are not permitted in any University building except for service dogs and animals used in teachings or research.

Members of the university community are expected to do their part in ensuring that University grounds are maintained in a attractive manner. Temporary structures such as tents and unauthorized displays are not permitted on the campus because of health, sanitation, and safety considerations. Camping on University property is prohibited.

The use of all tobacco products and tobacco related products, including E-cigarettes, is prohibited on all property that is owned, operated, leased, occupied, or controlled by the University.

Posters, bulletins, advertisements and articles may not be taped or fastened to walls, doors, windows, trees, cans, etc., but may be displayed on bulletin boards provided in most academic buildings and various campus locations following the stipulations outlined in the Posting Policy. Violators may be charged removal costs for illegally posted materials.

Use of public areas by student organizations is limited to spaces that are typically used by students for gathering, including the athletic fields, the Green, Old College Lawn, Academy Building Lawn, Harrington Beach, Laird Turf, Dining Hall lobbies and the University Student Centers patios.

Bayard-Sharp Hall can be reserved by Registered Student Organizations for $275 for a 4-hour period, with additional hours at $25/hour. There must be a student supervisor present at all times, and the only food that may be present at the event is UD Catering. For more information on reserving Bayard-Sharp, contact Laura at x0036.

Recognized student organizations seeking to hold events on the grounds or public areas of buildings must submit an Outside Facilities Use Request with approval of the Director of the University Student Centers or his or her designee. Recognized Student Organizations wanting space in Dining Hall lobbies, Harrington Beach, Laird Turf, or Student Centers Patios must reserve the space through the Space Reservation Form.

For information on using Residence Hall spaces, click here.