Required Services for Outside Events on Campus Grounds
Please note that Harrington Beach, the USC Patios and Independence Field are reserved as USC spaces; the Old College Lawn, North and South Green are reserved through Auxiliary Services; Athletics Spaces are reserved through Recreation Services.
Organizations wishing to hold 5k or similar events on campus must consult with the appropriate administrator for your organization: Greek Chapters and Councils should meet with Assistant Director, Adam Cantley. RSOs should meet with Assistant Director, Alex Keen. In the absence of an Assistant Director, organizations need to meet with the Senior Associate Director, Scott Mason.
Event Time Period:
Depending on the nature of your event, the following services may be required.
- No events to begin before 9:00am. All events must End by 8:00pm (Sunday-Thursday) and by 10:00pm (Friday-Saturday)
- Maximum of 4 hrs for events with amplified sound
- Maximum of 6 hrs for all other events
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE FINANCIAL CHARGES FOR ALL THE SERVICES LISTED BELOW THAT WILL BE INCURRED BY YOUR ORGANIZATION.
- Student Organizations may not provide their own food or have an outside caterer or restaurant provide food for any event taking place in an Outdoor Space.
- If you wish to give food away to participants, please make arrangements through University Catering (302)831-2891
- If you want to have food available for guests to purchase, contact Dining Services Concessions. Concession items include hot dogs, snacks, sodas, bottled water, etc. There is no charge to the organization for this service, as the individual participants pay for their purchases. Make all arrangements through University Catering (302) 831-2891
- If your outdoor event needs eleectricity, you will need to request a generator or ask for access to a power outlet. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that your power needs will be accommodated.
- For access to power outlets on Harrington Beach, USC Patios, or Independence Field, contact the USC Event Services Office (302)831-2633
- The Miscellaneous Services Form must be filled out if power is required for DJs, bands, novelties, etc in any other outdoor space.
- All generators must be provided by UD Electric Shop. No external companies may bring their own generators of any size or style. This includes any generators for sound, lights, inflatable games, etc. Please request the generator through the Miscellaneous Services Form. Ask your vendor to provide all details about their power needs before submitting this form.
Garbage Cans and Trash Removal
- If tables, chairs, and/or staging are needed for your event at any outdoor location other than the USC Patios, they must be requested via the Miscellaneous Services Form.
- Any event held on Harrington Beach or Independence Field using stages, tables, chairs, or similar items will be required to follow Artificial Turf Guidelines to protect the turf surface.
- Tables and chairs for events on the USC Patios can be requested on the Space Reservation Form. Note that no items can be placed directly on the turf. This includes tables and chairs. All items placed on the turf must have plywood underneath them. We recommend placing all items on the sidewalk or grass areas surrounding the turf.
- For any outdoor event, other than those on the USC Patios, the following must be ordered via the Miscellaneous Services Form: garbage cans, recycling containers, and trash bags sufficient to hold the waste produced by the event.
- At the conclusion of the event, the organization is responsible for picking up any trash left around the event area and placing it into the garbage cans.
- When arranging a pick up time, please be sure to allow enough time for clean-up to assure that all trash is in the cans when the truck arrives to collect the waste.
- If your outdoor event has food, more than 500 people in attendance, or lasts longer than 3 hours, you must request UD Campus Grounds to pick up waste at least once per hour during your event. Indicate this need on your Miscellaneous Services Form.
- Sound Systems and equipment for events on Harrington Beach, Independence Field and the USC Patios can be requested on the Space Reservation Form.
- Audio Equipment for events at other outdoor locations can be requested using the Miscellaneous Services Form.
- The noise level at your event must not violate the City of Newark's Noise Ordinances. Additionally, if during class time, the sound level of your event cannot interfere with classes. Residence Life needs to approve any event with amplified sound that is in a Residence Hall area.
Tents and Staked Items
- If anyone will be collecting any money at your event, then you must hire a UD Public Safety aide to work the event. If there are multiple points of collecting money, then there should be enough staff to cover all of these areas.
- Events that will attract large crowds, or have other circumstances that may require assistance in maintaining the safety of the participants, will also require Public Safety.
- To request public safety at your event, use the Request for Public Safety Form.
- Tents are not provided by the University and must be provided by a vendor with adequate insurance.
- Tents of a certain size (determined by the City of Newark) are required to have a building permit.
- No staking of objects (including flags) is allowed on University property. Tents must be held up using sand bags or other weights that do not damage the ground. This is especially important for Harrington Beach and Independence Field.
- Up-to-date information on vendor insurance and permits can be found here.
If you are not sure whether or not your event needs any of the above, or if you have event needs that are not explained above, please contact the Student Involvement Office (302)831-2428.
- Services must be canceled by 9:00 a.m. on the business day prior to the event in order to avoid cancellation charges.
- To cancel reservations for Harrington Beach, Independence Field or the USC Patios, use the Cancellation/Change Form.
- All other services should be canceled by contacting the Student Involvement Office.