Memorial service for W. David Teter planned in Newark for July 19
1 p.m., July 18, 2014--W. David Teter, former assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering at the University of Delaware from 1968-99, passed away July 12 at the age of 77.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 19, at Spicer-Mullikin Funeral Home on West Park Place in Newark. Visitation will begin at 10 a.m., followed by services at 11 a.m.
Spencer to reopen Saturday
App for safety
A native of West Virginia, Teter was a local CAD pioneer. He introduced the software’s capabilities to many at University of Delaware, including an undeclared freshman back in 1978, Harry W. (Tripp) Shenton III, who today chairs the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Recognizing the primitive limitations of the available graphics software, Teter developed his own 3-D software for the early engineering design and graphics courses. He also taught conventional drafting and surveying, and is remembered by fellow faculty and students as a thoughtful and affable professor.
An avid car rallying fan, he co-founded the Mon Valley Sports Car Club in Morgantown, West Virginia, and helped organize the Brandywine Motorsport Club and the Sports Car Club of America and was instrumental in formulating the rules by which these organizations abide.
Through the years he led many Appalachian National Rallies and, locally, March Lamb Road Rallies, the last of which traversed Cecil County, Maryland, Chester County, Pennsylvania, and New Castle County, Delaware, just this past spring. A frequent competitor and rally champion himself in the Sports Car Club of America, he was honored in 1985 with the Robert V. Ridges Memorial Award.
Teter is survived by his son, W. Andrew Teter, of Newark, and two granddaughters. The family will hold a Masonic ceremony and committal service at the family gravesite in Bridgeport, West Virginia, on Saturday, July 26.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the West Virginia University Foundation, P.O. Box 1650, Morgantown WV, 26507-1650.