New faculty orientation
New faculty provided information on UD's teaching, learning resources
1:36 p.m., Sept. 4, 2013--The University of Delaware welcomed new faculty members to campus during a special orientation event held Friday, Aug. 23.
The Center for Teaching and Assessment of Learning (CTAL) coordinated the orientation for newly hired faculty members and Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Laboratory (ISE Lab) preceptors by introducing them to the learning environment at and teaching and learning resources offered by the University.
A taste of psychology
The new faculty and preceptors were greeted by Provost Domenico Grasso.
After ice cream from the UDairy Creamery’s “Moo Mobile” ice cream truck, Grasso offered welcoming remarks to the group, emphasizing the importance of teaching and mentoring students in and out of the classroom.
Participants were also oriented to the UD campus and its resources for teaching and learning. The orientation concluded with an informative panel presentation and reception in the newly constructed, state-of-the-art ISE Lab.
Members of the Institute for Transforming Undergraduate Education (ITUE), staff in Academic Technology Services (ATS) and faculty panelists discussed issues such as teaching, research and life balance; how to advise students; and the value of interacting with a learning community.
During the 2013-14 academic year, CTAL, ATS and ITUE will partner to offer several events focusing on teaching and learning at the University. New and tenured faculty members, as well as graduate students, are invited to attend the events.
Teaching and learning events
- Oct. 4 -- First Friday Roundtable, “Tools to Enhance Students Collaboration.”
- Nov. 1 -- First Friday Roundtable, “Creating a Welcoming Environment Overcoming Classroom Challenges for International Students.”
- Dec. 6 -- First Friday Roundtable, “Mentoring Undergraduate Students.”
- Jan. 9, 2014 -- Winter Faculty Institute
- March 7, 2014 -- First Friday Roundtable, “Creative Writing Assignments that Increase Student Engagement and are Easier to Grade.”
- April 4, 2014 -- First Friday Roundtable, “Documenting Your Teaching with the Help of Students.”
- June 2-5, 2014 -- Summer Faculty Institute
Photos by Evan Krape