UDance launches 2014 volunteer program
2:52 p.m., Jan. 28, 2014--UDance, the University of Delaware’s largest student run philanthropy, has announced the launch of a new volunteer program for the upcoming dance marathon event to be held from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, March 23, at the Bob Carpenter Sports and Convocation Center (BCC).
The volunteer program is an essential part of the preparation and success of the actual UDance event, a UDance representative said, adding the program “is a great way for students, faculty, and alumni to get more involved with this amazing cause and calls for responsible, enthusiastic volunteers.”
Stitch in time
Designs for Healthy Living
There will be many different committees for volunteers to sign up to serve on, the representative said, and the benefits of being a volunteer include playing a larger role in UDance as well as taking a leadership role within the UD community and “serving as a part of something revolutionary.”
Each committee is broken into two-hour shifts besides the set-up and clean-up committees. Registration will begin on Wednesday, Jan. 29, and will end at 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 28. Click here for the link to sign up.
Following are brief descriptions of each committee”
• Set up: These volunteers will be assisting on the day before UDance and on the day of. They will be helping the executive board with miscellaneous tasks. Members will get to the BCC early to help set up for UDance. Organizers are looking for 30 people for this committee. Keep in mind there will be heavy lifting throughout the set up, so organizers are looking for strong people. The set-up committee will meet at the BCCb from 11:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m. the night before and day of UDance.
• Clean up: These volunteers will be assisting the executive board in cleaning up after UDance. They will get to the BCC at least an hour before UDance ends. Organizers are looking for 30 people for this committee.
• Financial volunteers: These people will be collecting and counting money on the day of the event. There will be volunteers at tables, operating flex machines and collecting cash and making change for people. Some of these people will also be collecting money at the doors. This committee requires an additional application due to the nature of the work. See the Google Form for further instructions. Organizers are looking for 60 volunteers for this committee.
• Volunteer volunteer check in: These people will check in volunteers and get them situated. Organizers need 18 people for this committee.
• Food and beverage: These volunteers will be assisting with all food and beverage needs on the day of the event. Organizers are looking for 60 people for this committee.
• Dancer relations: These volunteers will be assisting the dancer relations head in getting the dancers and moralers checked in and situated. Organizers are looking for 28 people for this committee.
• Family assistance: These volunteers will help to check families in and get them settled with anything that they need. This is a great way to meet some of the heroes and their families. Organizers need 12 people from each organization with a hero to volunteer for this position. They are looking for an additional 12 people for this position to initially check families in.
• Alumni relations: These people are responsible for welcoming alumni and getting them situated as they arrive. Organizers are looking for 36 people for this committee.
• Interactive media: These people are responsible for helping the interactive media heads take pictures and videos throughout the entire day of UDance. Organizers are looking for 20 people for this committee.
• Floating volunteers: These people will help with miscellaneous tasks throughout the day. Organizers are looking for 18 people for this committee.
• Merchandise: These people will help sell merchandise throughout the day of UDance. Organizers are looking for 18 people for this committee.
Article by Becca Jacobs