Keep safety in mind during Drive Safely to Work Week 2012/10/03
1:42 p.m., Oct. 4, 2012--During Drive Safety to Work Week 2012, Delaware's Office of Highway Safety (OHS) reminds drivers of the importance of focusing on driving, rather than multitasking.
The average commute time for Delawareans is 24.3 minutes, or nearly 50 minutes a day on the road each work day, according to OHS.
Group study rooms
Given the amount of time spent on the road, it's important to remember the keys of safe driving:
• Always buckle up. This is the one thing that will keep you safest in the event of a crash.
• Drive with a clear head. Drowsy driving can be as dangerous as impaired driving.
• Avoid distractions. Distractions can come in many forms; eliminate as many as possible.
• Know the basics of parking and backing. Many crashes can be avoided by being aware of blind spots.
• Review the fundamentals. Remember the basics of safe driving, such as mirror placement, scanning the environment around your vehicle and signalting your intentions.
For more information on Drive Safely to Work Week 2012, visit www.trafficsafety.org.