Research administrators meet
Conference for UD research administrators provides updates on research process
9:12 a.m., May 22, 2013--University of Delaware research administrators participated in the annual Research Office Conference held April 25 at the Embassy Suites in Newark. More than 180 people attended the event.
The attendees included research support staff representing all seven colleges and UD sites from the entire state of Delaware. Guests from Christiana Care Health System and Delaware State University also were present.
Video games and body image
The Research Administrator Conference is held annually and provides staff from all departments, colleges, research institutes and centers the opportunity to learn about local and national updates regarding the research process.
The day began with the opening session, “Introduction to Research at UD,” with presentations by Charlie Riordan, vice provost for research; Karl Steiner, senior associate provost for research development; Cordell Overby, associate provost for research and regulatory affairs; and Trudy Riley, assistant provost for research administration.
For the remainder of the day, participants could select from the following sessions:
- Early Career Track: “UD Credit card: Where’s the Backup?” by Dawn Jory, Cindy Panchisin, Pam Irwin and Kathy Roeder;
- “Mapping a Commitment from Proposal to Effort Report” by Dawn Yasik, Laura Paller and Susan Bledsoe;
- “Internal Audits” by Cheryl Morris, Maria Poole, Janet Ianni, Eileen Burns and Ian Janssen;
- Early Career Track: “Preventing Unallowable Costs” by Jessica Cote and Susan Tkachick;
- “A Research Administrator’s Guide to Research Compliance” by Maria Parazuelos, Sean Hayes, Katie Brown and Megan Hancock;
- “Ask Procurement” by Debra Reese, George Walueff and Beth Kuhn;
- Early Career Track: “Role of Procurement in the Research Process” by Debra Reese, George Walueff and Beth Kuhn;
- “Sponsored Guideline Updates” by Kathy Lyons and Mark Dobbins;
- Early Career Track: “A Day in the Life of the RO” by Gerri Hobbs, Chanell Rome, Dave Griffith and Susan Bledsoe; and
- “UD as a Sponsor: Dare to Take the First Step” by Leigh Botner, Kaylee Olney and Susan Tompkins.
Presentation archives can be found at this website.
Information tables, where attendees could ask questions and obtain information, were also available for participants to visit, including University Finance, HR-Employee Education, Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, University Development-Corporate and Foundation Relations, Office of Economic Innovation and Partnerships, and HR-Records Management.
“The Research Office would like to thank everyone involved for their support in making the conference a successful event,” a representative of the office said.
Future Research Office training initiatives can be found at this site.