National Nutrition Month
Campus dining options highlight importance of informed food choices
10:45 a.m., March 8, 2013--University of Delaware Dining Services/ARAMARK is joining with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to celebrate National Nutrition Month. With the theme of "Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day," this year’s National Nutrition Month recognizes that while food preferences, lifestyle, cultural and ethnic traditions, and health concerns can all affect individual food choices, the development of a personalized healthy eating style is essential.
“National Nutrition Month highlights the importance of making informed food choices that work for each individual’s lifestyle and nutrition needs,” said Sue Bogan, resident district manager of Dining/ARAMARK. “We are committed to providing the campus community with a menu that features a variety of healthy options and supports consumers’ changing preferences.”
Forest to pharmacy
Lights, Camera, EARTH!
UD Dining Services/ARAMARK will celebrate National Nutrition Month with special menu features in residential dining halls and specials at retail dining locations throughout campus.
In addition to the on-campus events, there are several ways students can “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day,” according to the food and nutrition experts at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Personalize your eating style: The easiest way to get the nutrients your body needs is to eat healthy foods you enjoy. Finding good-for-you foods that please your palette makes eating healthfully special and exciting.
- Eat for your lifestyle: Athletic, vegetarian/vegan, corporate and family lifestyles all have special nutritional needs, but eating right can be easy and tasty with attention to those foods that best help get you through the day.
- Incorporate cultural and ethnic traditions: Foods from around the globe often incorporate an abundance of unique, flavorful and nourishing ingredients. Keep traditions alive and bring the world to your family’s table.
- Keep health concerns in mind: A healthful eating plan can help prevent and treat a variety of health concerns. With modification and moderation, you can still enjoy many of your favorite foods while meeting your nutritional needs and health goals.
- Make my plate your plate: Fill half your plate with your favorite fruits and vegetables; keep protein portions lean and about 3 ounces; make at least half of your grain choices whole grains; and be sure to include low-fat or fat-free dairy.
About ARAMARK Higher Education
ARAMARK Higher Education is dedicated to excellence in dining, facility and stadium and arena services. ARAMARK enhances the living and learning experience and environment for more than 600 colleges and universities throughout North America.
About the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) is the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The academy is committed to improving the nation’s health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy.