Aug. 9: Undergraduate symposium
UD sets third annual undergraduate research, service symposium
11:01 a.m., July 26, 2012--The University of Delaware will hold its third annual Undergraduate Research and Service Celebratory Symposium on Thursday, Aug. 9, at Clayton Hall.
The symposium is a capstone event highlighting the accomplishments of undergraduate students participating in summer scholar programs with UD faculty and community partners in laboratories, studios, libraries, schools, hospitals and international settings.
Dec. 12: Forum on Delaware jobs
Dec. 13: Skating show
More than 320 students will participate in the event, which will be held from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Keynote speaker will be Ed McCleskey, scientific officer with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. He will speak at 1:30 p.m. on the topic "Why the Fun of Discovery Is All That Should Matter to You."
Nancy Brickhouse, UD interim provost, will welcome the students at 8:40 a.m. and State Rep. Darryl Scott will provide closing remarks at 4:15 p.m.
During the final session of the day, the second annual Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Research Prize on Sustainability will be presented. The prize was established by UD's Undergraduate Research Program and Gale, a leading organization in e-research and educational publishing, to encourage undergraduate research and projects in the area of sustainability.
Students representing the following summer scholar programs will make presentations at the symposium:
- Arts and Humanities Summer Scholars, Undergraduate Research Program (URP);
- ArtsBridge America Scholars;
- Catalysis Center for Energy Innovation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program;
- Center for Composite Materials Summer Program;
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Summer Scholars;
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholars;
- National Institutes of Health National Institute for General Medical Sciences IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE);
- National Science Foundation Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCOR);
- Network of Undergraduate Collaborative Learning Experiences for Underrepresented Scholars Program (NUCLEUS);
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program Scholars;
- Science and Engineering Summer Scholars (URP);
- Service Learning Scholars, Office of Service Learning (OSL); and
- Social Science Scholars (URP).
Presentations and abstract titles can be found at the Office of Undergraduate and Experiential Learning website.