Aug. 9: Undergraduate symposium
UD sets third annual undergraduate research, service symposium
11:01 a.m., July 26, 2012--The University of Delaware will hold its third annual Undergraduate Research and Service Celebratory Symposium on Thursday, Aug. 9, at Clayton Hall.
The symposium is a capstone event highlighting the accomplishments of undergraduate students participating in summer scholar programs with UD faculty and community partners in laboratories, studios, libraries, schools, hospitals and international settings.
Through May 10: REP stages 'WIT'
April 24-25: VAWA conference
More than 320 students will participate in the event, which will be held from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Keynote speaker will be Ed McCleskey, scientific officer with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. He will speak at 1:30 p.m. on the topic "Why the Fun of Discovery Is All That Should Matter to You."
Nancy Brickhouse, UD interim provost, will welcome the students at 8:40 a.m. and State Rep. Darryl Scott will provide closing remarks at 4:15 p.m.
During the final session of the day, the second annual Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Research Prize on Sustainability will be presented. The prize was established by UD's Undergraduate Research Program and Gale, a leading organization in e-research and educational publishing, to encourage undergraduate research and projects in the area of sustainability.
Students representing the following summer scholar programs will make presentations at the symposium:
- Arts and Humanities Summer Scholars, Undergraduate Research Program (URP);
- ArtsBridge America Scholars;
- Catalysis Center for Energy Innovation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program;
- Center for Composite Materials Summer Program;
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Summer Scholars;
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholars;
- National Institutes of Health National Institute for General Medical Sciences IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE);
- National Science Foundation Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCOR);
- Network of Undergraduate Collaborative Learning Experiences for Underrepresented Scholars Program (NUCLEUS);
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program Scholars;
- Science and Engineering Summer Scholars (URP);
- Service Learning Scholars, Office of Service Learning (OSL); and
- Social Science Scholars (URP).
Presentations and abstract titles can be found at the Office of Undergraduate and Experiential Learning website.