Semifinalists for Hen Hatch entrepreneurial program announced
10:11 a.m., Feb. 25, 2013--The Horn Program in Entrepreneurship has announced the semifinalists for the student track and alumni, faculty and staff track of Hen Hatch, the University of Delaware’s premier business startup funding competition.
Aspiring entrepreneurs submitted 46 new business ideas in the preliminary rounds marking a 40 percent increase in submissions over previous years.
Wall of Fame
An expert panel of 38 seasoned entrepreneurs, investors and business executives evaluated the business concepts for feasibility and growth potential and selected 21 teams to advance to the semifinal round.
Semifinalists in the student track are:
- Kevlar Caps, led by Alexander Graef;
- Weather Ready, led by Marirose Wufsus;
- Swopedu, led by Ashraf Bah-Rabiou, Djihar Bah-Traore and Ibrahim Mkondera;
- PenguinAds, led by Mac Nagaswami;
- Bonneterie, led by Caroline LaPrise;
- Prodigy Training Supply, led by Mark Bailey and Manik Sharma;
- QuikIntake, led by Mitali Desai, Kevin Chang and Anne Sanger;
- Nemisis Autosport, led by Danielle Whitaker;
- Bandemand, led by Russell Sonenclar and Dustin Hayes; and
- Anniversary, led by Benjamin Klein and Kenneth Wallach.
Semifinalists in the alumni, faculty and staff track are:
- WholesomeOne, led by Kevin Burke, Greg Wilson, Cristie Ritz-King, Jessica Braun and Kristen Stewart;
- Coworking for Parents, led by Aliza Schlabach, Diane Daily and David Sorin;
- Mercy Cards, led by Jed JohnHope, Horace Grant and Andre' Newman;
- FitNicePT, led by Meredith O’Brien;
- TapEdge Mobility, led by Thomas Pelaia and Bridgette Mase;
- AnCatt, led by Sue Wang, Nar Wang and Jianguo Wang;
- Innovative Footwear, led by Elliot Pires;
- DAIMYO, led by Kyle Steelman and Todd Heasley;
- LacApp, led by Peter Jackson, Benjamin Arneberg, Gino Inverso, Nathan Ie and Patty Furukawa;
- Envisage, led by Peter Bonarigo, Umberto Degli Esposti and Kevin Denman; and
- Granita Marketing, led by Alanna Peet and Johanna Peet.
The semifinalists will pitch their business ideas to a new set of judges on Friday, March 8 (student track), and Friday, March 15 (alumni, faculty and staff track), at the Venture Development Center and the top three business ideas from each track will go on to the final round.
Hen Hatch’s final round will take place during the 2013 UD President’s Forum on Innovation and Entrepreneurship on Thursday, April 18, at Clayton Hall.
A $50,000 prize pool in startup cash and services from organizations like Belfint, Lyons and Shuman, Connolly Gallagher, Hunter Public Relations, and Corporation Service Company will be awarded.