Exercise for health
UD employees encouraged to take advantage of Winter Session programs, services
11:01 a.m., Dec. 10, 2012--The evidence is in for fitness, according to a representative of the University of Delaware’s HealthyU Employee Wellness Program, who said regular exercise “has been associated with more health benefits than anything else known to man.”
“Studies show that it reduces the risk of some cancers, increases longevity, helps achieve and maintain weight loss, enhances mood, lowers blood pressure, and even improves arthritis,” the representative said. “In short, exercise keeps you healthy and makes you look and feel better.
IT Tech Fair
UD’s HealthyU Employee Wellness Program can be a great resource for individuals looking for help in developing a fitness regimen and those who may just need a source of motivation.
The following programs will be offered for employees throughout Winter Session in the month of January.
- Group Fitness Classes – A variety of classes will span a four-week period and include cardio-toning, Pilates, step workout, Zumba, abs exercises and the program’s “No Sweat Express” lunchtime offering.
- Intramural Volleyball – Offered on Tuesdays, the indoor league will meet from 12:15-1 p.m. in Gym 1 of the Carpenter Sports Building. All levels of play are welcome so encourage co-workers and join in on the fun.
- Recess – Missing those activities that you used to enjoy on the playground? Join the HealthyU staff on Wednesdays from 12:15-1 p.m. in Gym 1 of Carpenter Sports Building for some old-fashioned fun. A different game will be played each week; games will include dodge ball, capture the flag, rock climbing and whiffle ball.
- Fitness Assessments – This comprehensive service puts employees in touch with their health and helps determine individualized fitness goals. Results are compared with national norms for gender and age and can be used as an objective measurement to plan a fitness program or assess progress.
- Personal Training – Personal training provides one-on-one expert guidance while developing an individualized plan based on personal fitness goals.
All benefited employees receive Wellness Dollars that can be applied toward any of these programs. For additional details and to register, visit the HealthyU website or call 831-8388.