Friday street closings
Newark city streets to be closed for Friday's Winterfest, Reindeer Run
12:32 p.m., Dec. 4, 2012--Several Newark streets will be closed on Friday evening, Dec. 7, for the city’s Winterfest celebration and the Special Olympics Delaware Reindeer Run and Romp.
Winterfest will be held from 6-8 p.m., Friday, on the lawn of the University of Delaware’s Academy Building at Main and Academy streets. City officials announced Friday afternoon that it will go on as scheduled despite rainy weather.
Internet safety: Phishing
The free event will feature entertainment, the roasting of chestnuts, caroling, a tree lighting ceremony, ice carving demonstrations and additional family activities.
In conjunction with Winterfest, the University’s Barnes and Noble Bookstore will offer story time every half hour for children of all ages. There will be a raffle to give away books that are read during story time and free UDairy Creamery ice cream.
Winterfest rain date is 6-8 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 8, also at the Academy Building.
The Special Olympics Delaware Reindeer Run and Romp will begin at 7 p.m. at the intersection of Academy Street and Delaware Avenue. Walk-up registration is $25. For early registration, or for additional information on the race and the course, see the website.
UD Police report that with the activities, the following street closures have been announced:
- Academy Street between Main Street and Delaware Avenue, 4-9 p.m.;
- Academy Street from Delaware Avenue to Lovett Avenue, 4-8:30 p.m.;
- Academy Street south of Lovett Avenue to Water Works Lane, 6:30-8:30 p.m.;
- Courtney Street and Ashley Road, 7-7:30 p.m.;
- South Chapel Street south of Wyoming Road, 7-7:30 p.m.; and
- Kells Avenue, Water Works Lane and Wollaston Avenue, 7-8:30 p.m.
Also, UD Police said to expect delays on East Park Place.