Blue Hen Holiday Express
Holiday skating fun offered at UD's Fred Rust Ice Arena
2:01 p.m., Dec. 18, 2012--All aboard for the Blue Hen Holiday Express, which will be taking on passengers for a fun ice skating excursion at the University of Delaware’s Fred Rust Ice Arena beginning on Friday, Dec. 21, and running through New Year’s Day.
The train layout was the concept of Kathy Wheatley, art director, and Keith Heckert, senior art director, both in UD’s Office of Communications and Marketing, and was designed by Don McElroy of Unique Impressions of Newark, Del. The train logo was produced by JetIce.
LGBT aging, care
The 40-foot UD train logo includes an engine, a pair of passenger cars and a caboose. A host of snowmen and snowflakes and 1,000 holiday lights installed above the ice surface will add a festive holiday ambience to the design. The protective glass around the rink also will be removed to create a more open atmosphere.
The installation by Ice Arenas staff will take about 12 hours, beginning at 8 a.m., Thursday, Dec. 20, and the facility will be open to the public to watch the process, said James Kaden, assistant director of the UD Ice Arenas.
“To viewers looking down from the ice arena lounge, the display will look like a holiday card,” Kaden said. “We encourage people to come down and take pictures and skate on the railroad tracks as well.”
Holiday skating sessions
Special holiday skating sessions at the Rust Ice Arena are:
- Friday, Dec. 21: 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Saturday, Dec. 22: 10 a.m.-noon, 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Sunday, Dec. 23: 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Monday, Dec. 24: 1-3:15 p.m.;
- Wednesday, Dec. 26: 3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Thursday, Dec. 27: 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Friday, Dec. 28: 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Saturday, Dec. 29: 10 a.m.-noon, 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Sunday, Dec. 30: 1-3:15 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.;
- Monday, Dec. 31: 1-3:15 p.m.; and
- Tuesday, Jan. 1: 1-4 p.m.
On Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, beginning at 1 p.m., the first 100 children will get a free holiday coloring book and there will be games and prizes to be won. Live DJs will be spinning sounds during the 1-3:15 p.m. sessions on Dec. 28, 29 and 30
Article by Jerry Rhodes
Photo by Ambre Alexander