As UD's move-in weekend approaches, summer construction continues
9:35 a.m., Aug. 21, 2012--Summer has been a busy time with construction projects ongoing across the University of Delaware campus in Newark.
As move-in approaches the weekend of Aug. 25, some work will still be under way, although University officials do not expect the campus construction activities to be disruptive.
Inclusive and effusive
Among the major projects is construction of an addition to the Carpenter Sports Building, work that will be continuing through most of the coming year.
Due to that construction, pedestrian access to the Carpenter Sports Building is via a temporary entrance until summer 2013. For a map detailing how to reach both Frazer Field and the Carpenter Sports Building during construction, click here for a map in PDF format.
Also, the Delaware Field House lighting project will finish later in move-in week and the facility will reopen Aug. 30.
Other construction activities include:
• Trabant University Center to McDowell Hall steam/condensate line: Work inside Trabant as well as the sidewalk on the south side of Main Street is expected to be complete by Aug. 24 but work north of Main Street to McDowell Hall will continue through October.
• Perkins Student Center to Russell Hall steam/condensate line: Piping work has been completed and most plantings should be done by Aug. 24. Bike racks and benches will be completed somewhat later.
• Alison Hall steam/condensate line: The roadway between Alison and the maintenance center should be fully reopened by Aug. 24. Some work adjacent to the breezeway on the north side of Alison will be completed somewhat later.
• East Campus Residence Halls: Haines Street is expected to be fully restored and reopened before Aug. 24, restoring normal access to Russell Hall.
• Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Lab: Sidewalks adjoining the site will remain closed but should be reopened beginning in mid-September.
• Carpenter Sports Building: Immediately adjacent parking area and main entrance being closed to allow construction of new addition. Temporary paths for pedestrian access have been provided through Old College.
• Christiana West Tower: Elevator overhauls, painting and light projects have been completed. Some exterior excavation relating to piping systems may not be fully restored until after Aug. 24.
• Sharp Laboratory: Replacement stone on steps on south side delayed; temporary planking will be installed to make stairway usable.
• Smith Hall: Smitty’s Cafe is being replaced by a new Starbuck’s; opening date is Sept. 4.
• Washers and dryers: All residence hall equipment has been replaced with brand new units.
These projects will be completed by Aug. 24:
• Ray Street A and B HVAC replacement;
• Laird Campus brick paver repairs;
• Delaware Field House structural project;
• Purnell Hall window replacement;
• Drake Hall roof replacement;
• Morris Library roof replacement (and removal of scaffolding); and
• Christiana East fire doors
Photo by Ambre Alexander