Solutions to webmail crash
Problems with email servers to accelerate migration of UD employee email to other platforms
11:24 a.m., April 15, 2013--The message servers that form mail.udel.edu had a catastrophic software crash about 2:40 p.m. on Friday, April 12. Technical support staff from the vendor, CP Mirapoint, were unable to fix the problem.
On Saturday morning, UD Information Technologies (IT) staff restored mail.udel.edu service using a disaster recovery snapshot from noon on Friday. However, problems remain, and Mirapoint staff continue to try to solve the server problems.
Social media: #SMWNYC
Because of repeated problems with the Mirapoint servers over the past several months, UD IT decided to retire those servers. IT staff members have been migrating UD Webmail users and people using desktop email programs that connect to mail.udel.edu to the other UD central email systems:
- Gmail within Google Apps at UD
- UD’s central Exchange service.
Because of this most recent Mirapoint server failure, IT staff will accelerate the migration process for UD Webmail and mail.udel.edu users to either Google Apps or Exchange, as appropriate.
What you need to know
- Some email messages sent between noon and 2:40 p.m. on Friday, April 12, to UD Webmail and mail.udel.edu users were lost.
- Undergraduate student email accounts did not lose any email messages.
- No email messages sent to employee accounts on the UD Exchange server or to employee, retiree, graduate student or alumni accounts on Google Apps at UD were lost.
- Google Apps at UD and Exchange email may have been delayed over the weekend.
- If you are a UD Webmail or mail.udel.edu user, over the next several weeks, IT will be helping you move to either the central Exchange server or the Google Apps at UD email system.
As more information becomes available, IT staff will update the announcement linked at the IT home page, contact departmental IT professionals and provide updates to the campus community in UDaily articles and on the @ITatUD twitter feed.