Take precautions to keep cool during hot days ahead
3:40 p.m., June 19, 2012--The National Weather Service is predicting excessive heat in the area beginning on Wednesday, June 20, and possibly lasting into Friday, June 22.
Thursday, June 21, is expected to be the hottest day of the event, and maximum heat index values above 105 are possible.
Heat is the number one weather-related killer in the United States, and the National Weather Service offers several recommendations for heat wave safety:
• Reduce, eliminate or reschedule strenuous activities until the coolest time of the day.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
• Drink plenty of water and decaffeinated fluids.
• Spend more time in air-conditioned places.
• Stay out of the sun. Sunburn reduces your body's ability to dissipate heat.