Take precautions to keep cool during hot days ahead
9:38 a.m., June 28, 2012--The National Weather Service is predicting excessive heat in the area beginning on Friday, June 29, and possibly lasting into Sunday, July 1.
Maximum heat index values above 110 are possible in Delaware and northeast Maryland.
Heat is the number one weather-related killer in the United States, and the National Weather Service offers several recommendations for heat wave safety:
• Reduce, eliminate or reschedule strenuous activities until the coolest time of the day.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
• Drink plenty of water and decaffeinated fluids.
• Spend more time in air-conditioned places.
• Stay out of the sun. Sunburn reduces your body's ability to dissipate heat.