CAS named professors
Two new named professors appointed in the College of Arts and Sciences
9:56 a.m., June 4, 2012--Two faculty in the University of Delaware College of Arts and Sciences have been appointed to named professorships.
Gary Ferguson has been appointed Elias Ahuja Professor of Foreign Languages and Literatures and James Brophy has been appointed Francis H. Squire Professor of History.
'A Colorful Folk'
Family photo albums
Both appointments are effective Sept. 1.
A specialist of the French Renaissance, Ferguson has published widely on early modern and medieval French literature and culture, in particular in the areas of the women’s writing, gender and queer studies and the cultural history of religion and devotional writing.
Ferguson is a professor of French, a core faculty member in the Department of Women’s Studies and a former coordinator of the interdisciplinary minor in sexualities and gender studies, and has been a visiting professor at the Université Paris 13-Paris Nord, the Université Rennes 2-Haute Bretagne and the Université Jean Monnet-Saint Etienne.
Elias Ahuja, whose memory is honored by named professorships in foreign languages and literatures, was born in Spain and represented DuPont in Chile in the early part of the 20th century.
Brophy specializes in modern European history, particularly the social and political history of nineteenth-century Germany. He received his bachelor of arts degree from Vassar College and did his graduate training at Universität Tübingen and Indiana University.
He is the author of Popular Culture and the Public Sphere in the Rhineland, 1800-1850 and Capitalism, Politics, and Railroads in Prussia, 1830-1870 and co-editor of the two-volume Perspectives from the Past: Primary Sources in Western Civilizations.
Most recently, Brophy has been awarded a summer research fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities to support his archival research in Germany.
The professorship honors Francis H. Squire, who joined the history department faculty in 1927 and served as dean of arts and sciences from 1945-56.
Article by Artika Rangan
Photos by Ambre Alexander and Evan Krape