Feb. 13: DTI open house
UD hosts open house for K-12 teachers interested in Delaware Teachers Institute
1:21 p.m., Feb. 1, 2012--The Delaware Teachers Institute (DTI), which offers K-12 educators in New Castle County a unique professional development opportunity, will hold its second annual open house for interested teachers on Monday, Feb. 13, from 4:30-6 p.m., in the Puglisi Orchestra Hall of the Roselle Center for the Arts on the University of Delaware campus in Newark.
Composed of small groups of K-12 teachers, DTI offers seminars on academic topics that teachers have identified as being most relevant to their instructional needs. Teachers, in turn, collaborate with colleagues and their UD seminar leaders (professors) to produce standards-based curriculum units that are rich in content and effective in pedagogy.
March 1: Hospitality management career fair
March 2: VA secretary to visit
At the Feb. 13 open house, interested teachers will learn about DTI’s mission, the application process and the 2012 seminar offerings.
The five seminars to be offered in fall 2012 are:
- "Environments and Cultures in Conflict," Jack Bartley, associate professor of biological sciences;
- "The American West as Place, Process, and Story," Barry Joyce, associate professor of history;
- "The Promise and Perils of Online Research," Tom Leitch, professor of English;
- "Modeling with Mathematics," John Pelesko and Michelle Cirillo, professor and assistant professor of mathematical sciences; and
- "The Idea of Liberty in American History," Eric Rise, associate professor of sociology and legal studies.
As “fellows” of the DTI, teachers are paid a stipend, earn Department of Education clock hours and have their curriculum units published on the websites of both Yale University and the University of Delaware.
Registration for the open house is required, and attendees are asked to RSVP to DTI Director Ray Theilacker, by Tuesday, Feb. 7, at email@example.com.
About the Delaware Teachers Institute
The Delaware Teachers Institute is one of five “League of Teachers Institutes” affiliated with Yale University, and modeled after the renowned Yale National Initiative to Strengthen Teaching in Public Schools.