Ice cream contest
UDairy Creamery flavor finalists named in alumni Dela-bration contest
11:37 a.m., April 23, 2012--The five finalists have been chosen for the University of Delaware Alumni Weekend’s Dela-bration ice cream flavor contest.
The contest is now open for online balloting as the campus community decides which flavor is the cream of the crop. Votes can be cast at this website.
Out of 44 entries received by UDairy Creamery and the Office of Alumni Relations, the following five fun flavors were selected as representing the spirit of UD.
The winning flavor will be revealed by UD President Patrick Harker at the Blue Hen Brunch on the Green during Alumni Weekend on Saturday, June 2. The winner will receive free admission with a guest to the weekend’s activities.
- Finalist No. 1: Vanilla ice cream, pie crust pieces, blueberries, blueberry swirl. Submitted by Ben Kremkow, doctoral candidate in the College of Engineering.
- Finalist No. 2: Blueberry ice cream with crushed golden Oreo sandwich cookies. Submitted by staff member Diana Woodring of the Office of University Development.
- Finalist No. 3: Banana bread flavored ice cream with blueberries added. Submitted by alumna Beth Schwenk, a member of the Class of 1988 who also received a master's degree in 2009.
- Finalist No. 4: Lemon ice cream with blue raspberry sorbet swirls. Submitted by Abby Walter, a member of the Class of 2013.
- Finalist No. 5: Mint ice cream with brownie pieces, chocolate swirl and chocolate chunks. Submitted by Lauren Troy, a doctoral candidate in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Held the first weekend after Commencement each year, Alumni Weekend is a tradition that is growing in popularity and in size. More than 3,200 Blue Hens and friends attended in 2011, participating in activities such as Mug Night, the Blue Hen 5K, President Patrick Harker's State of the University address and the Alumni Wall of Fame Ceremony. More information is available at the Alumni Weekend website.
Photo by Danielle Quigley