8:25 a.m., Feb. 11, 2011----The University of Delaware Office of Equity and Inclusion calls for nominations for annual diversity awards and announces the schedule for spring training sessions available to faculty and staff.
Each year, four awards are given to deserving individuals or groups who go above and beyond to promote equity and diversity at the University of Delaware.
Each award holds the namesake of a significant pioneer for equal justice at UD.
The submission deadline for all awards is Friday, March 18.
Award recipients will be announced during the week of April 4 and will be honored at a luncheon later in the spring.
The four awards that comprise the annual diversity awards are (click on the link to download the nomination form and eligibility requirements in PDF format):
- The Louis L. Redding Diversity Award recognizes UD individuals or units whose efforts have promoted, enhanced and implemented diversity programs or activities that have resulted in a significant change in the campus climate and/or composition within the University community.
- The Bessie Collins Award will be given to a matriculated woman who is over 22 years old, has a minimum grade point average of 3.0, demonstrates future promise, and who has overcome special difficulties in pursuing her goals.
- The Mae Carter Scholars Scholarship will be awarded to an undergraduate or graduate woman student who has attended the University of Delaware for at least one year with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and evidence of work to advance the status of women at the University.
- The E. Arthur Trabant Award for Women's Equity is an award given to an individual, department, administrative unit, or committee that has made an exceptional contribution to equity for women at the University of Delaware.
In addition, OEI will offer training sessions for the UD community to increase awareness of the importance of having an inclusive workplace.
These training sessions meet compliance guidelines as well as the University's own commitment to diversity. For more information about the training offered, or to register for a session, see the OEI training website.
Scheduled training offerings include:
- Search Committee Chair Lunch & Learn is an educational session open to all search chairs and committee members to help attendees stay up-to-date on diversity initiatives in the recruitment process. BYO lunch, beverages and dessert will be provided.
- LGBT Allies Training prepares individuals to openly support the LGBT community at UD and to address any issues that may arise in the workplace context.
- Sexual Harassment Training showcases the types of sexual harassment most often seen and how to address issues at UD once they arise. Each person on campus plays a role in putting an end to sexual harassment.
- Diversity Training focuses on using our differences to bring us together for better communication, heightened understanding, and deeper respect for your fellow colleagues.
If you should have any questions regarding the diversity awards or the training offerings, contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion at 831-8063.